• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rickman CL175…a true Metisse!

Thanks for posting, there are a bunch of smart folks out there. Certainly David Vizard. Another are the you tubes by Eric Weingartener. I always learn stuff.

Last edited:
David Vizard was our hero back in the '70's, when my friend and I both ran BL Minis. We still have a copy of his book about tuning the BL A series motor somewhere, last time I saw it my friend had it on his bookshelf. I only had a 998cc engine, but fitting a 997 Cooper cam, duplex timing gear, skimmed and ported head with modded combustion chambers, LCB exhaust manifold and Cooper system, along with the standard ( late model ) 1.5" SU carb on an Oselli inlet manifold, perked it up no end, all thanks to reading Vizard articles in the car magazines back then.

As it happens, I don’t have a front fender as yet. A PP front would be awesome….the premise of this whole build is to use up all my garage bits and bobs and I’ve done that (well, for the most part) but a red Petty would certainly give me pause.

...You forgot kick the tires too.

I forgot to mention that it had low compression on that cylinder.

I found a NOS Rickman fender with flaps for less than a PP new. Not Acerbis or UFO but the fiberglass adds that touch of class.

I'm dreading the cost of side covers, so far at $65 each. While I'm not hemorrhaging money on this project, there's significant cost outlay and my projection is I'll end up only slightly under a good running OEM Rickman.

But where's the fun in that?

I'll photo the other side piston. It's not as destroyed but clearly heat was the root cause destroyer. Ironically the cam and rockers look good so I opine it wasn't an oiling issue per se, but I bet it was an all day at high rpm blast from Providence to Bar Harbor
On a really hot day.
With a Sumo wrestler riding.
Uphill.

What the hell did that PO do to this poor 175? Man, if there was an applicable statute he should be charged with mechanical abuse.

Considering both pistons show elongation, crown stretching upwards, I suspect the PO pegged the throttle WO at low speed or parked in an effort to grenade the engine.

David Vizard was our hero back in the '70's, when my friend and I both ran BL Minis. We still have a copy of his book about tuning the BL A series motor somewhere, last time I saw it my friend had it on his bookshelf. I only had a 998cc engine, but fitting a 997 Cooper cam, duplex timing gear, skimmed and ported head with modded combustion chambers, LCB exhaust manifold and Cooper system, along with the standard ( late model ) 1.5" SU carb on an Oselli inlet manifold, perked it up no end, all thanks to reading Vizard articles in the car magazines back then.
Vizard has You Tube channel.
He was doing a 'live broadcast' few years ago and couldn't remember what Morris 1800 was nicknamed so I sent in 'Land Crab' and got a mention

Dang it, knew I was getting close but I didn’t take much off, well, too much anyway. Oopsy!
IMG_2686.jpeg

I haven’t started the polishing process, only rough shaping. It’ll have to be finished now, cobby as it is, not going to risk any more tool insertions…

I haven’t started the polishing process, only rough shaping. It’ll have to be finished now, cobby as it is, not going to risk any more tool insertions…
So, I see light coming through the hole, but you think it's still usable?

Useable as is? No. Just a blobby of JB? No.
With a blobby AND the lower spring cup, yes.
Okay, I wondered how you got to that conclusion. Hopefully that engineer brain of yours is correct, but if not at least it would only be a small oil leak.

Once upon a time in a land far, far away, I ported cylinder heads for a living and there are indeed many ways to get the job done. I'm happy with my approach (other than that pesky oops).

Back
Top Bottom