• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

VHT member James Adams

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
I've been asked to inform everyone as to James' recent absence. You may recall he mentioned having a bladder biopsy done a few weeks ago. A recent MRI has revealed a larger situation, in his words:

"It's a cancer called pseudomyxoma peritonei which starts in the appendix and spreads through the abdomen. Very rare, only two people in a million get it."

To which his comment to me was so typical James...

"Trust me to be difficult!"

As you might expect from James, he is very positive and upbeat about things. In 3 weeks he'll be undergoing a 14 hour procedure to resolve the situation followed by a chemo rinse of the abdomen to ensure no remnants are left behind. Obviously he'll be recovering for a while but I know all of us here will be sending our best thoughts and prayers along with the healing vibes for one of VHT's most enjoyable posters to have a full recovery and return to the garage for more vintage Honda adventures. As he put it:

"...but 'I'll be back' as a well known actor said on more than one occasion!"

😄

Last edited:
James,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and keep You in my prayers. Keep positive thinking on.

Sorry to hear this. Good thing he's got some bikes to fiddle with and take his mind off things.

I had surgery for bowel cancer some years ago, followed by chemo and radiotherapy. As soon as I was able I was back down in my cold garage, pulling the cams from my CB600 to shim the valves. I treated the whole business as a big joke, definitely helps.

Best wishes from another cancer survivor. It can work out.

All the best James, better times ahead. Time and the hour runs through the roughest day as Shakespeare said . That thought has helped me a lot in the last few years. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck and all the best James. Had my battle this year, treatment over and now on 5 year surveillance. Support of forum buddies and lots of bikes to work on have been a real big help. Log on when you can.

Thanks you guys for all your concerns and replies. Just waiting on Christies' hospital for an appointment but in the current Covid climate that could take a while. I think the cold weather more than the shock of having cancer is keeping me out of the garage but I'm happy to go with 50/50. :)

When I can get my head around what to do on the bike next I'll be sure to post about it.

Thanks guys!

I am stage one, so I know I have some of that in my future. Big reason why I got my bike in the first place, and probably the reason I am on these pages.

Speedy recovery sir.

I am stage one, so I know I have some of that in my future. Big reason why I got my bike in the first place, and probably the reason I am on these pages.

Speedy recovery sir.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The hack and slash guys at Christies are eager to get going, excited faces being a rare cancer and all. They say their aim is to remove every scrap of cancer. December 22nd at 7am is D-day when they'll be removing my appendix first. I was proud of the fact that I'd kept my appendix for 64 years as everyone else I know had it removed in childhood! I wish someone had removed mine now as this is where the cancer started. After that is removed it's time for the ascending colon to get removed, then re-attaching the bottom of the small intestine to what's left. For good measure they're taking a piece of my bladder as well then stirring in some hot chemo into my abdomen and mixing it around for 90 minutes. Temporary stoma bag too, marvellous!

Can't do much to the bike as it's started to hurt now so I think they're just in time. Very strangely it hasn't affected me in the slightest, I'm in a 'what's next' mood and very upbeat. Everyone around me is a mess and I seem to be supporting them through it!

Anyway, sorry I'm not posting stuff about my 400. A blow by blow paragraph on my op will have to do. See you all in the new year and I hope my bike doesn't rust too much it took me ages to get it where it is:)(y)

Thanks for letting us know James. Your story is much like mine was but mine was bowel cancer and not the other issues you have. If it helps, just to let you know the minute I was diagnosed the NHS took over completely. After scans and tests to confirm cancer had not spread the operation was quickly done followed a short break and then into chemo. Cannot tell you how many different tests were done and it seems no part of the body or mind was not looked at and monitored. The big thing you probably have and will continue to notice is how great the NHS is and how lovely everyone treats you and the care you will receive. No stone is left unturned and no expense spared. The support people do an amazing job to monitor you and explain and help and gets things done. They are truly amazing and will look after you so well. I am just dealing with the after effects of chemo and it affects everyone in different ways mine mainly being blood clots on the lungs but hope to come off blood thinning tabs soon. It helps enourmesly to be positive even through difficult times. I have the love of a good family and I am pottering with my bikes which keeps me sane. I am now under supervision for 5 years and that is already mapped out. Great, constant MOT. BE POSITIVE. and take care.

My own experience was prostate cancer which was only identified by the PSA test. No symptoms, even the infamous digital exam was normal. Not the type they fix with surgery but rather with radiation. 5 days a week for 9 weeks. Only real side effect was what they politely called "gastrointestinal distress" controlled with over-the-counter medications. As you are finding it was a lot easier to keep my own spirits up than those around me but all were there and smiling when I "rang the bell". 2 years cancer free and counting.

Thanks for letting us know James. Your story is much like mine was but mine was bowel cancer and not the other issues you have. If it helps, just to let you know the minute I was diagnosed the NHS took over completely. After scans and tests to confirm cancer had not spread the operation was quickly done followed a short break and then into chemo. Cannot tell you how many different tests were done and it seems no part of the body or mind was not looked at and monitored. The big thing you probably have and will continue to notice is how great the NHS is and how lovely everyone treats you and the care you will receive. No stone is left unturned and no expense spared. The support people do an amazing job to monitor you and explain and help and gets things done. They are truly amazing and will look after you so well. I am just dealing with the after effects of chemo and it affects everyone in different ways mine mainly being blood clots on the lungs but hope to come off blood thinning tabs soon. It helps enourmesly to be positive even through difficult times. I have the love of a good family and I am pottering with my bikes which keeps me sane. I am now under supervision for 5 years and that is already mapped out. Great, constant MOT. BE POSITIVE. and take care.

I whole-heartedly agree I saw it first hand being a porter for 10 years, 5 years on the cancer ward and maternity and 5 years 'on the street' as it's called ie 'the rest of the hospital!' As a porter I got to know many cancer patients and made friends with lots of them so it was quite difficult when called to take them away to the morgue as I was wheeling a friend away. Christies have said their main aim is to remove ALL the cancer so fingers crossed that they do!

Hope you stay positive matey and be all-clear soon

My own experience was prostate cancer which was only identified by the PSA test. No symptoms, even the infamous digital exam was normal. Not the type they fix with surgery but rather with radiation. 5 days a week for 9 weeks. Only real side effect was what they politely called "gastrointestinal distress" controlled with over-the-counter medications. As you are finding it was a lot easier to keep my own spirits up than those around me but all were there and smiling when I "rang the bell". 2 years cancer free and counting.

Glad you're free of it matey. I really think state of mind plays a big part in the outcome. SWMBO can't grasp how I am so upbeat and positive, no worry and almost making a joke of it. She's not in the best of places at the moment but I think it IS harder for loved ones to grasp as I would be worried to death if she had what I've got!

Strange, isn't it?

You've got your head in the right place and yes you are supporting everyone else with your positive attitude. Keep it up, we're all rooting for you to beat this booger soundly.

Hi James,

Glad to hear that you have a plan of action sorted out.

I had a temporary stoma ( ileostomy ), lasted about 6 months before they reversed it. One thing I found for myself, no one told me, was to shave off all the fine hairs around the stoma site, then spray it with an adhesive spray, a bit like gasket cement. Made a much better seal, and did away with the painful tugging on those little belly hairs. Flatulence is amusing, stoma bag inflates like a balloon, you soon learn what to avoid eating and drinking.

( When I worked in the lab, we always processed appendices removed as routine surgery, just in case they had a tumour in them. Memory fading now, but biogenic amines, 5HT etc seems to ring a bell.)

After I had the stoma reversal, they had to check that the two rejoined ends of my bowel were leak free. This was done by essentially filling my gut up with saline, then checking for leaks, interesting experience.

As the others have said, I received brilliant treatment from the NHS. I found it a very positive experience to sit and chat to other patients going through the same 'journey'. I had radiotherapy before and after surgery. I also had a Walkmed unit fitted, unit worn in a belt pack, drip feed of chemo via a PICC ( peripherally inserted central cannula ) line. Alarm sounded if I went to sleep and crimped the line.

Just read your last message, I can relate to that.

I thought it was a joke, went back to the lab, told my workmates, some of them in tears.

Went home, wife was devastated, harder for her than me.

Been through the same process as Richard after my accident. It's all about focus on the next stage of recovery and letting the horizon take care of itself. James, you will be less than a mile away from my house when you have your op. I'll throw some positive thoughts your way on the day, they won't have to fly far.

James,

Well being a family web site I can't explicitly state my usual response to your situation but f cancer should hopefully pass.

I always say that we are all just one big medical experiment and I haven't the want or the need for my experimentation to be over. I got lucky and won the medical lottery once, being told by a nurse feeding me drugs on an radiographic table while having an angiogram that they usually see men with my condition in the morgue or ICU still makes me chuckle like it did at the time. I like cheating death.

All the best to you and may you also cheat the reaper.

11am on December 14th I get to have my pre-op. Had a Covid test two days ago and have to self-isolate. Now how can I do that if I have to go to hospital in Manchester for three hours on the 14th, and then again on the 21st for the same procedures, questions, blood tests, heart tests etc and then go yet again the very next day at 7am for the actual op? There's a lot of chances to catch Covid and then it's 'Oh Mr Adams, can't do you now you'll have to wait a while it grows a bit more!' Seems very half-cocked to me, better to test me, pre-op me and then op me all in one day.:)

Or is that just me being naive?

11am on December 14th I get to have my pre-op. Had a Covid test two days ago and have to self-isolate. Now how can I do that if I have to go to hospital in Manchester for three hours on the 14th, and then again on the 21st for the same procedures, questions, blood tests, heart tests etc and then go yet again the very next day at 7am for the actual op? There's a lot of chances to catch Covid and then it's 'Oh Mr Adams, can't do you now you'll have to wait a while it grows a bit more!' Seems very half-cocked to me, better to test me, pre-op me and then op me all in one day.:)

Or is that just me being naive?

James, it's just you using common sense. Remember that common sense is not so common these days. :rolleyes:

Glad the day is near to get you fixed.

Gone through all that but safest place to me was in the hospital and I am alive and well to appreciate how well they looked after me.

Hi James,

Not clear from your post, are you saying that you've tested positive for Covid ? If the hospital will still honour your appointment in light of that diagnosis, I would say go for it. I'll bet there's plenty of other Covid patients at Christies, staff should be geared up to cope with it.

All the best,

Richard

Hi James,

Not clear from your post, are you saying that you've tested positive for Covid ? If the hospital will still honour your appointment in light of that diagnosis, I would say go for it. I'll bet there's plenty of other Covid patients at Christies, staff should be geared up to cope with it.

All the best,

Richard

Hi Richard. No, sorry I meant I'd had the covid test then have to self-isolate. Had the results the next day, no covid but still have to isolate to make sure I don't catch it before my op hence my concern about going to the hospital three times and increasing my chances of getting it. I've had both jabs and the booster so should be OK if I do get it but they'll refuse me the op for obvious reasons if I catch it which is what I meant in my previous post though not very clearly!

So, to recap, I'm free of Covid and just sitting about waiting for my op and only being able to play my guitar or stick models together as it hurts like hell now and I can't stand for long and going into the garage to get on with the 400 is out of the question. Still happy as Larry though it'll take a lot to make me miserable. SWMBO thinks I'm strange and should be worried but life's too short to worry!

Thanks James, I understand now. I know you'll take all the precautions to ensure that you remain Covid free, no reason that you'll get it with those in place. Not long to go now, hang in there.

Operation is over and I'm back home! Lovely scar from breastbone to crotch and the obligatory stoma bag. That's all they were able to do. On peering inside me they discovered there was a mass surrounding my appendix, bowel, bladder in fact you name it it's surrounded by cancer. So, to keep my quality of life for now they took multiple biopsies for histology and sewed me back up. In six weeks I go to see what specific chemo they will be using to kill the cancer.

Life was certainly not dull in hospital. From the nurse who walked past me, stepping on my catheter tube causing me to yelp and rise from my seat, then turned back and repeated the procedure to the night staff who behaved as though it was the middle of the day I was dutifully entertained.

Bike's still sat in the garage. Doubt whether I'll get near it any time soon but trust me, when I'm 'whole' again I'll be at it!:)

Great news that you are back home safely, good to hear from you again.

I have the same scar, breastbone to pubis, and I know what you mean about the night shift, lights full on, loud voices etc. Headphones (audio off) helped.

Do keep in touch, good to talk.

Operation is over and I'm back home! Lovely scar from breastbone to crotch and the obligatory stoma bag. That's all they were able to do. On peering inside me they discovered there was a mass surrounding my appendix, bowel, bladder in fact you name it it's surrounded by cancer. So, to keep my quality of life for now they took multiple biopsies for histology and sewed me back up. In six weeks I go to see what specific chemo they will be using to kill the cancer.

Life was certainly not dull in hospital. From the nurse who walked past me, stepping on my catheter tube causing me to yelp and rise from my seat, then turned back and repeated the procedure to the night staff who behaved as though it was the middle of the day I was dutifully entertained.

Bike's still sat in the garage. Doubt whether I'll get near it any time soon but trust me, when I'm 'whole' again I'll be at it!:)

At least the hospital staff kept you "entertained". :rolleyes: Sounds like the plan of attack has changed but I know your resolve hasn't. We'll be looking for updates as you go, keep us posted as you can. (y)

High spirits and a positive attitude are the best things you can bring to the table. Sounds like your medical team is on top of their part too.

Still feeling positive, but no work done on the bike due to incompetence in CCU. My surgery stockings were taken off for some reason and 'replaced' with new ones. They had a hell of a job putting them on, sawing them side to side and basically forcing them on. Two days later when my legs weren't numb from the epidural I noticed my heels and feet were very tender so I carefully took the stockings off. I was greeted with two massive, plum-sized blisters on the back of both heels, and friction burns to the top of my right foot. No-one showed any interest bar giving me a roll of plastic to elevate my feet from the mattress, barring a night nurse who was intent on bursting the blisters, something I had to tell her, quite forcibly, was not done anymore due to infection and also the pain. The mattress stayed constantly flat as the pump was faulty, thus it was like lying on a corrugated piece of steel which gave me pressure sores on my back.

Lots more happened during my stay and I was just glad to get home, thankfully after the Tissue Viability Nurse came to inspect the blisters. Deep Tissue Damage was what he said had happened, and he was right. He took a dozen pictures and has sent a Datex in for investigation.

The upshot of this is I now can't walk on my heels, it hurts too much I have to walk round on tip-toe. Standing in the garage with my bike is still a no-no. District nurse comes in twice a week to dress them, they are getting better slowly. It's amazing that this little thing is all that is stopping me from finishing the bike! Surgery scar has healed well, illiostomy bag doesn't bother me it's just that through a stupid move on CCU I can't stand up very long!

Hopefully soon I can get Tom to unfreeze my thread on my CB400 so I can get you all up to speed but at the moment it's guitar playing and model building/painting.

See you all soon (hopefully!)

James

James, so sorry to hear that a bit of hospital staff incompetence has caused you those issues. Seems they're not just restricted to the US and all the horror stories we hear here. When your feet heal up and you're able to get back to the bike, let me know so I can open your thread. We're all looking forward to your return. (y)

Hi James,

Good to hear from you again. Similar experience here, I had excellent treatment from all the specialities, possibly helped that I was a member of staff, but back on the ward the 'hotel services' were not great, to say the least, relieved to get home back into my own bed.

I had an ileostomy, but luckily it was only temporary, reversed after 6 months or so.

So sorry to hear the hospital tale, it's too common a tale. But you'll come thru this with flying colors and before you know it you'll be back to finish the bike and take her for a ride. In the meantime build some models with the care and diligence you've shown with the bike.

Makes for an interesting recovery when you have to heal from both the original condition and the medical care. Sounds like you have it well in hand.

James, so sorry to hear that a bit of hospital staff incompetence has caused you those issues. Seems they're not just restricted to the US and all the horror stories we hear here. When your feet heal up and you're able to get back to the bike, let me know so I can open your thread. We're all looking forward to your return. (y)

Cheers Tom. I forgot to mention that the Tissue Viability Nurse only came because SWMBO used her powers on the ward staff who answered the phone after I'd sent her a text with a picture of the blisters which, honestly, were the size of a plum, two inches wide, one and a quarter inches tall and an inch deep! Within an hour of her call they appeared, two of them, one armed with a top of the range Nikon with a massive lens, multiple flash guns all around it and a competent user. They both said, virtually in unison, 'Oh my God!' when they saw them. Lots of photographs and mutterings of 'Totally unnecessary', 'Deep Tissue Damage' and ' definitely needs a Datex' (complaint in writing against CCU) and they were on their way. The power of SWMBO is not to be trifled with, I couldn't get them to do anything!

Hi James,

Good to hear from you again. Similar experience here, I had excellent treatment from all the specialities, possibly helped that I was a member of staff, but back on the ward the 'hotel services' were not great, to say the least, relieved to get home back into my own bed.

I had an ileostomy, but luckily it was only temporary, reversed after 6 months or so.

I think mine is temporary too Richard, but not sure. They say the cancer can be 'managed' with chemo, but I think it's sour grapes because they pride themselves on cutting out all the cancer, something they couldn't do with me as they couldn't get at anything to cut out because of the cancer, so they have to play second fiddle to the chemo guys. Where this cancer is I don't know. I'm ten and a half stone, flat(ish!) stomach, all leg muscles etc sort of toned from 10 years of portering so where is it hiding?

What really made me mad was that I was looking forward to the hospital meals there, as they have an amazing kitchen and the food is gorgeous. Unfortunately I was in for nine days over Xmas and the kitchen was closed, so it was pre-packaged, tasteless dinners. I was not impressed!

So sorry to hear the hospital tale, it's too common a tale. But you'll come thru this with flying colors and before you know it you'll be back to finish the bike and take her for a ride. In the meantime build some models with the care and diligence you've shown with the bike.

Cheers JIm! I have a CB900F model somewhere I might just find it and 'do it up' instead.

Much more fiddley than a real bike though . . . . . . . .

Makes for an interesting recovery when you have to heal from both the original condition and the medical care. Sounds like you have it well in hand.

It's going well hopefully soon I'll be able to stand up for a bit without teetering on my toes!

One District Nurse set me back a week though. She was 'Old School' trained. Took my dressings off and then pecked the scabs off before I knew what she was doing. Then used an old-fashioned bandage to 'dress' them rather than a silver patch like the other nurses because the wounds were over-granulating (healing over and over) which silver patches slow down. She never looked at my notes or wrote anything down but I had an extra week of agony as new scabs grew. SWMBO got on the blower, complained and got a 'proper nurse' in the same day to dress them properly!

If that nurse comes in again she's going nowhere near me!:)

Not been posting for a while due to illness. Chemo should be starting on 30th March but at the rate the wound is going on my heel I think they are going to postpone it until the heel is cured. If they'd have given me chemo from the start I would be just finishing 6 months of it and hopefully cured, as it happens I was a 'cut and shut' case, basically they cut me open, whoops, far too difficult to cut things out can't see said things because of goo and promptly sewed me back up. They specialize in cutting out all the cancer, that's why they didn't go for chemo first and it's really annoying me as it's grown a hell of a lot more in the past 6 months. Bad decisions made all round. Apparently, it's a mucus form of cancer, not rubbery like normal and it clings to everything. Why this wasn't picked up from the word go through the CT scan I had and chemo given I don't know.

Anyway, pain killers are holding most of the pain at bay but what I am suffering from which is just as painful is gas! Doesn't matter what I eat, how slowly I eat it etc it causes painful gas. Peppermint tea (YUK!) does a fair job of shifting it but not good enough. Recipes, anyone?

I don't think I'm going to get in the garage before chemo and it depends how ill that makes me whether I can get to do anything during it but it's sure tee-ing me off not being able to get to the bike. At this rate it'll rust that much I'll have to strip it all down and start again!

Be assured that as soon as I am physically able I will get my thread re-opened and carry on from where I left off. Thanks for hanging on in there with me guys!

I was just thinking of you a few days ago, sorry to hear things have not gone as planned. If not for your heel you could at least be puttering around in the garage a bit for some distraction.

Keep fighting the good fight James, and we'll be here when you return. (y) Healing vibes sent your way.

I was just thinking of you a few days ago, sorry to hear things have not gone as planned. If not for your heel you could at least be puttering around in the garage a bit for some distraction.

Keep fighting the good fight James, and we'll be here when you return. (y) Healing vibes sent your way.

Cheers Tom. I'll not let the bugger get me down, that's for sure though sometimes it's a close call!

Well damn, here I was hoping everything was good and you were on the downhill side of this. We'll keeping hoping and praying that this all gets fixed up and you'll be back in garage finishing up.
I don't have anything to offer for the gas problem unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom