• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Speedometer drive

jpettigrew

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
It appears that my 1970 CL175 originally had a 2.75-18 front tire. I didn't like any of the treads on the tires on that size so I bumped up to a 3.00-18. I now wonder about the accuracy of the speedometer. It doesn't appear that there are different speedo drives to compensate for this. Any thought?

My thought is that it won't change your speedo reading too much as it's only one size up, and the truth is it will probably make the already-optimistic speedo readings more close to reality as it will read slightly slower. It won't be much, maybe a couple mph, but our speedos are usually around 4 to 5 mph higher than reality anyway. No worries

You can determine what difference this will make by comparing the circumference of the two tires. If your new tire has a circumference 5% bigger than your old tire your actual speed will be 5% faster than it was at the same indicated speed with your old tire, Speedometers are often optimistic so you may have just cancelled out the built in error.

Back
Top Bottom