• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Sl175 Dowel location

robbnc

Total Posts
Total likes
9CF71AC1-7782-40A7-BF8A-4786F5693BA4.jpg

I have a question about the case dowel pins on my Sl175. The parts fiche only list two, presumably those would be at holes 1 and 2 in the pic. My question is: what about hole #3 ? It looks like an oil passage, does this go together without a dowel?

Definitely only two dowels, in positions 1 and 2. Nothing in position 3, just be careful with the Honda bond / Three Bond sealant.

fC4waMW.jpg

I hope I've got this right. Position 3 IS an oilway, corresponds to the point that I've arrowed in this photo. That orifice lines up with the oil passages in the outer engine cover, if my reasoning is correct.

XGF4YMc.jpg

Looks to be correct Richard, and to the OP - absolutely be careful to keep the Hondabond to a thin smear so it doesn't get into any passages, particularly the oil feed Richard pointed out (location #3)

Ok thanks guys. That’s what I figured. But I always like to confirm if there’s any question. I will definitely go easy on the HondaBond, this engine was in pieces when I first got it and there were bits of HondaBond on the oil pump screen along with shop rag lint. Thanks for your help!

Interesting photographs that you posted over on the other forum. Having only got CB and CL engines here, I was interested to see how the ratchet type kick start in the SL engine worked. Looks as though the pinion is pre engaged, rotates when the engine is running, ratchet disengages once engine has started ?

Also intrigued to know what the other Honda engine relates to.

That is my understanding of how it works too. The kickstarter shaft is NOS which I paid dearly for. The original had been stripped, cut, welded, and generally butchered. The other engine is from the most obscure of Honda Twins...the “ twisted twin”. 1981 CX500. That’s the engine that came on the bike and it was stuck bad, I managed to get it freed up but the compression was bottomed out with severe pitting. It’s very difficult to rebore those engines as the cylinders are made into the case and pistons are expensive if you can even find them. I managed to find a low (33,000 mile) engine with near perfect compression for $200. That’s low mileage as these things are known to run 100,000 - 200,000 miles with regular maintenance. I’m waiting to see if Vermont will give me a registration on the bike, if they do my son plans to put that one on the road this summer. Those things are torque monsters as evidenced by all the trench’s he’s dug riding it in my back yard!

Ah, the CX500. Quite common over here in the UK back in the day, nicknamed the 'Plastic Maggot', for reasons that escape me.

A boy friend of my sister had one, wheelied it down the road away from our house, proved that it was an urban myth that shafties can't wheelie.

My neighbour here also had one back then.

...wheelied it down the road away from our house, proved that it was an urban myth that shafties can't wheelie.

I would've loved to see that, they just seem like a beast that wouldn't be conducive to it. I can attest that shafties can and do wheelie, my ZL900 Eliminator did but it needed a passenger aboard to keep the rear tire from spinning instead

Back
Top Bottom