• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Possibly dumb rear fender mounting question - CB350

swamp2

Total Posts
Total likes
Hmm.. The rear fender on my '69 CB350 project appears to be held on only by the 2 bolts going through the seat pivot/rear blinker brackets. So the fender can actually pivot/rotate about that point. The front edge of the fender is stopped by the lower back edge of the battery box, but it sure seems like there should be something else to hold the fender stationary. I've been looking at the parts manual and nothing is jumping out and I don't see any holes/brackets on the bike that could be used to secure it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve

Not sure if its the same setup as is on my '72 CB350, but the front portion of the fender should have a lip on it that will insert into a section below the toolbox. It has a rubber damper on it as well. Let me see if I can get a picture.

Moved to 350 Steering, Suspension and Frame section.

Yes, that's how it was put together at the factory. Thanks Perry

Well, I guess that solves that mystery. There indeed is no toolbox on mine. The mounting part of it is there, but it appears the front wall of the box disassociated itself with the rest of the box at some point - the edges of what's left are jagged and appear corroded. This project has continued to uh... surprise me in largely undesirable ways.

Thanks for passing along that parts list page - the downloaded one I was reviewing doesn't show the toolbox on the rear fender page so I didn't reallt think about that.

Well, I guess that solves that mystery. There indeed is no toolbox on mine. The mounting part of it is there, but it appears the front wall of the box disassociated itself with the rest of the box at some point - the edges of what's left are jagged and appear corroded. This project has continued to uh... surprise me in largely undesirable ways.

Thanks for passing along that parts list page - the downloaded one I was reviewing doesn't show the toolbox on the rear fender page so I didn't reallt think about that.

Use either CMSNL.com or Partzilla.com for looking up parts and comparing stuff. It's all in this thread in case you hadn't seen it yet.

Use either CMSNL.com or Partzilla.com for looking up parts and comparing stuff. It's all in this thread in case you hadn't seen it yet.
I've been using one which I downloaded from the VHT manuals section. All the same info is probably there, but it's organized differently. The toolbox shows up after the frame, later in the manual.

I've been using one which I downloaded from the VHT manuals section. All the same info is probably there, but it's organized differently. The toolbox shows up after the frame, later in the manual.

The good part about the online parts fiches is the exploded view, sometimes different than the parts manuals for whatever reason, like the link to CMSNL above from Perry which shows the tab on the front of the fender and the corresponding rubber grommet and slot on the toolbox it slips into.

The toolbox on my '69 is missing that bracket. However, the rubber piece on the fender is there, so it can only go down so far. I've been keeping my eye open for a restorable toolbox. But it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

The toolbox on my '69 is missing that bracket. However, the rubber piece on the fender is there, so it can only go down so far. I've been keeping my eye open for a restorable toolbox. But it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.
FWIW, there's a lot of 'em on ebay. I ordered one, ended up being <$15 shipped. Looks a bit cosmetically challenged in the pix, but so is the rest of the bike...

Back
Top Bottom