• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Just one spoke and nipple

kedge

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi folks, I'm in need of just one inner spoke and nipple for my 1962 ca72. It for the rear wheel. All other spokes have cleaned up nicely just had one broken. Hate to buy an entire set just for the one. Thanks

Hi folks, I'm in need of just one inner spoke and nipple for my 1962 ca72. It for the rear wheel. All other spokes have cleaned up nicely just had one broken. Hate to buy an entire set just for the one. Thanks
Search ebay by part #. I've bought some like that.
Spoke A 97287-521041
Spoke B 97924-521011
Sorry, can't remember inner or outer, A or B.

I don’t know why that one spoke failed, or needed replacement but I have some concerns with a single replacement.

My experience is if one failed, as in at the bend (odds are this was an “outer” spoke style), there are at the least 2 more that have fractures and statistically all 20 outers are at high risk of fail.

A complete set is not real expensive, under $50, and Jays recommendation is to restring the wheel completely. If you do the work it’s a nice winter project. And hey, I’ll help!

I don’t know why that one spoke failed, or needed replacement but I have some concerns with a single replacement.

My experience is if one failed, as in at the bend (odds are this was an “outer” spoke style), there are at the least 2 more that have fractures and statistically all 20 outers are at high risk of fail.

A complete set is not real expensive, under $50, and Jays recommendation is to restring the wheel completely. If you do the work it’s a nice winter project. And hey, I’ll help!
When the Red Queen screams, "Off with their heads", it may be stress damage time and more will follow. If a single casualty from foreign object entering wheel at speed then might be OK to replace just one. I replaced all 9 of the rear outer (tension) when 3 lost their heads but I also like wheel building so I don't mind.
The CA's are only 36 spokers.

Thanks! I have disassembled the wheel to replace the badly rusted rim. All spokes came out fine except that one that snapped off at the nipple when trying to remove it. Should have used more penetrant, some heat, and patience. Perhaps after the holidays I'll just order a new set to be safe

Back
Top Bottom