• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Disparities in exhaust pipe heat

Millertime

Total Posts
Total likes
My '71 CB350 is showing significant disparities in the heat coming from each pipe. As shown in the photo, the top pipe is glowing from heat and is significantly hotter than the bottom pipe. Is this something to be concerned about? Any thoughts?

423c37874f91440381289e7691be027c.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you synchronized the carbs? Does this happen only at idle or also at higher power settings?

Thanks J-T, that did the trick. Looks like the left carb's idle setting was off and was causing the left spark plug to misfire. Both cyclinders are running great now.

One question: what is best practice for air filters? Need to replace mine and was looking at these on common motor: https://www.common-motor.com/honda-cb350-air-filter

but they are $120. How important are OEM filters or are cheaper aftermarket filters just as good. Thanks!

Yes, thanks for that. One problem that I am now noticing is that the fuel line only fills ~50% with fuel even with the petcock wide open and no obvious obstructions. Is this normal?

Have poked around a bit online and it seems that it could be a blockage in the petcock or tank, but that doesn't explain why it will fill halfway. The other thing I saw is my float levels may be off on the carbs. Thoughts on where to start?

Unless you're having trouble with the way it's running, the fuel flow disparity between the 2 lines and/or the absence of full lines is simply how it operates. Many have wondered about this, especially when they pull the carbs and turn the petcock on to see it only flowing out of one line, but if you cover the line that is flowing it starts flowing out of the other line - path of least resistance. When both carbs are full, there's no way the fuel can fill the empty space you see in the fuel line.

Back
Top Bottom