• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB350 clutch lever action is very hard to pull, why?

ausman1000

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My sons CB350 has always had a very stiff clutch from the day he acquired it a couple of years ago. Today he attempted to address the issue by replacing the cable but that changed nothing. Looking for some advice on what to do next, thanks.

clutch71.jpg

Yes and yes, cable lubed and pivot mechanism cleaned and greased. Correct cable routing also verified.

With the lever lubed, cable lubed and the actuator clean and lubed that leaves clutch springs or something with the clutch basket.

It is of course possible the previous owner had heavy duty springs installed, will check it out another day. Are beefier springs different looking to regular? In the mean time I have a parts source if needed, see pic.

shrt.jpg

Taking a stab at this, did you check or swap and try readjusting the cam mech that the cable hooks into? Also remove the pushrod and check for straightness?

For the cam mech, completely disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble

Taking a stab at this, did you check or swap and try readjusting the cam mech that the cable hooks into? Also remove the pushrod and check for straightness?

For the cam mech, completely disassemble, clean, grease and reassemble

A yes, to the cam mech question. We have not removed the pushrod but that raises a question. How would a pushrod become bent with normal useage? The bike shifts absolutely fine through all gears, it's just that the amount of force required to pull in the clutch lever is way way stiffer than my '69 CB350. Mine feels like a breeze compared. I think we will find heavy duty springs fitted.

It is of course possible the previous owner had heavy duty springs installed, will check it out another day. Are beefier springs different looking to regular? In the mean time I have a parts source if needed, see pic.

View attachment 22535
Need to measure the wire diameter to tell the difference in most cases, some are real obvious.

A yes, to the cam mech question. We have not removed the pushrod but that raises a question. How would a pushrod become bent with normal useage? The bike shifts absolutely fine through all gears, it's just that the amount of force required to pull in the clutch lever is way way stiffer than my '69 CB350. Mine feels like a breeze compared. I think we will find heavy duty springs fitted.

Bent rod was a suggestion. I've never come across one but thought worth a look since they're easy to remove.

But what you describe reminds me of a sportster clutch that's out of adjustment, which is why I asked about servicing and resetting the cam mech on yours. Just starting over and redoing the screw on the side cover and cable settings

How would a pushrod become bent with normal useage?

It wouldn't, but I've seen clutch rods bent by a thrown chain that were then straightened and sometimes turned around in the engine so the straightened end was inside at the other end of the mainshaft. You can rarely get them perfectly straight afterward, and I suppose it might cause some binding in the movement.

That's where I am putting my money.

I'd typically agree, but my own red 450 clutch is harder to pull than my 900F and it has stock springs in it with new cables and levers and a completely cleaned and good condition lifter mechanism in the front sprocket cover. I had shims under the springs for a while but took them out when I did the shift mechanism parts before our 2022 SC trip, didn't change it much at all. I can deal with it but it can be tiring on a long day of riding in twisties with lots of shifts.

So the springs appear to be standard, they look identical to the springs pulled from the parts engine. So my son proceeds to remove the rod for inspection and figures all the gunk on it isn't helping things. Cleaned it up and discovered something else. The rod has a groove worn into it, metal on metal? Swapped it out with one from the parts engine and things have improved. Also found out he didn't lube the new cable properly but it is now. Clutch lever action feels totally normal now. Time to look at a parts diagram to see what else needs replacing.

yy.jpg yyyy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe they tried using an 18 tooth front sprocket and found the chain rubbed.
I bet you are right again :lol: We know the previous owner rode to work on a highway and the bike did have highway bar footrests fitted to it when we bought it home (for about five minutes) :)

I need help with a part number for the clutch rod 'seal'. I cannot find a diagram that shows it.

seal.jpg

Part number is 91203-292-005, same seal as a 450. Amazon has them and you'd probably get free shipping, but would it equate to you paying $2 for it plus shipping from 4into1 (link below)? Hard to be sure but Amazon's price is a ridiculous $12 (but they say it's a Honda part, not that it makes much difference with seals as long as they're the right dimensions)

https://4into1.com/mainshaft-oil-se...honda-cb350-360-450-450-500t-xl250-350-sl350/

BTW, this is the fiche it's in, you gotta think like a transmission

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350k3-super-sport-1971-usa_model432/partslist/E++14.html

Part number is 91203-292-005, same seal as a 450. Amazon has them and you'd probably get free shipping, but would it equate to you paying $2 for it plus shipping from 4into1 (link below)? Hard to be sure but Amazon's price is a ridiculous $12 (but they say it's a Honda part, not that it makes much difference with seals as long as they're the right dimensions)

https://4into1.com/mainshaft-oil-se...honda-cb350-360-450-450-500t-xl250-350-sl350/

BTW, this is the fiche it's in, you gotta think like a transmission

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350k3-super-sport-1971-usa_model432/partslist/E++14.html

I looked at that diagram earlier and quickly dismissed it, but alas, there it is number 23.

Back
Top Bottom