• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

And now the right side spark plug threads are stripped..

SamN350

Total Posts
Total likes
Salt Lake City UT United States of America
Even with the plug visibly seated its still rotating quite freely. It seems removing the head and doing a timesert is the best method. I just need to know where to get the right one. Google has presented me with VAST world of timeserts. I will be doing this on a 1969 cb350 K1. Which one should I get?

Thanks

1st off - Timeserts are Awesome for permanent repairs.
BUT... the kits are expensive for one time users.

I'd check with local machine shops and ask if they use them.
If they do they can probably do it for for 1/2 the price of the kits.

Didn’t someone just do this here?

Look at Sav-a-thread 14x1.25 size. Someone just did this with the head on, TDC, packed the tap flutes with grease to catch the cuttings and plucked any cuttings that fell onto the piston with a stick with grease on the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven’t done this already I highly suggest picking up a back tap. It will allow you to re-thread without the need for head removal. Then you can pick up a motorcycle specific spark plug thread insert. They can be installed without having to break off the end. Use some permanent thread sealant on the insert and it should be a quality permanent repair.

If you haven’t done this already I highly suggest picking up a back tap. It will allow you to re-thread without the need for head removal. Then you can pick up a motorcycle specific spark plug thread insert. They can be installed without having to break off the end. Use some permanent thread sealant on the insert and it should be a quality permanent repair.

I was able to use a back-tap to clean up threads on my engine once, but that was in order to clear out some junk that was causing it to be lumpy and seize up.

It sounds like this is the opposite problem - the threads have either been yanked out or are otherwise beat up so badly there’s no linear pressure being applied anymore.

For $15 (or free if you can borrow from a buddy) I suppose it’s worth a shot, but I wouldn’t hold out hope it’s going to work.

Here’s the thread I made when I used a back tap:

Spark Plug Thread Repair
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...thread.php?t=473&share_type=t&link_source=app

-Ed
1972 CL350K4

You can use a slightly larger tap then the stock spark plug to cut new treads for the insert without needing to drill. The back-taps don’t need to be flared out 100% at first so you could run it through a couple times and step up to the larger size.

Back
Top Bottom