• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

2-1 Stainless Exhaust finally finished. CL350

MountainGoat

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I built my 2-1 out of stainless 2 years ago as the previous owner had cut down the original exhaust. I finally got around the welding up my headers from the head to the 2-1 merger. Headers are 16 ga 1.5 stainless with a 1” NOM pipe inside with a 30mm ID that is plug welded to retain exhaust velocity. About 4 inches before the merger the pipe opens up to 1.3 inches ( 33mm) and after the merger it is 1.75 OD 16 ga pipe.
3b5b2a0e7925a0f7fc8d648eec0fce17.jpg

Hours of grinding and sanding in this as I only have a mig welder. Tig welder is on the wish list. 1970 Honda CL350
bc98333e0660b79de25bd903dc0e18e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks good and the pipe diameters sound right also, nice job.
Curious about the muffler, how quiet/loud would you rate it?

Moderate I would think. Runs about 92 DB at idle by a phone app. This is Cone Engineering’s Quiet Core muffler, not a straight through.

92 dB isn't too loud, 80 is the Federal standard for bikes. 88 for tractor trailers. I'm running @102 dB now and with my hearing again it should be lowered so I don't get a head ache, level has zero effect on my ears.

Nice job. What did you do for the stops where the headers mate with the exhaust ports in the heads?

Nice job. What did you do for the stops where the headers mate with the exhaust ports in the heads?

I bought some stainless steel 1.5” schedule 80 pipe that has a 1.5” ID 1.9” OD and 2 stainless stainless washers. I had my machinist turn the pipe OD down to 1.8” then he made a 1.8” OD x 1.2” ID washer. We cut the pipe down to 20mm long and I plug welded that to the end of the 1.5 inch pipe. I then welded the washer over the end of the pipe, this is what the copper crush washer crushes against on the pipe. I didn’t take pictures but it works just like the original end.

That’s a good idea. And you MIG’d this? Looks pretty good for MIG but kinda a pain huh? Assume you got stainless wire, a helium tank and set up back purge just for this?

Is the stainless tubing coneeng sells truly stainless? You can check with a magnet, real stainless is basically aluminum and won’t be magnetic

That’s a good idea. And you MIG’d this? Looks pretty good for MIG but kinda a pain huh? Assume you got stainless wire, a helium tank and set up back purge just for this?

Is the stainless tubing coneeng sells truly stainless? You can check with a magnet, real stainless is basically aluminum and won’t be magnetic

Yes mig’d. Stainless wire and I used Trimix as a shielding gas. No back purge but I used Harris Solar Flux Type B which is a stainless flux you can use on the backside of stainless welds without purging.

The Cone Engineering muffler is real 304 stainless.

All the weld joints were 80 grit flap disc’d followed by belt sanded up to 240 grit.

Here it is today after it heat colored a bit.

That’s fantastic, I’m awed at your skills. Beautiful job! Let us know when you start taking orders. [emoji846]

Tom - 1982 CM450E
(“Noob”, but learning fast!)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really inspiring. I have my Mig set up to weld stainless but I had no idea that it was capable of producing something as good as you have achieved here. I must practice a lot more.

That is really inspiring. I have my Mig set up to weld stainless but I had no idea that it was capable of producing something as good as you have achieved here. I must practice a lot more.

My mig beads were pretty straight but finishing with a flap disc on the grinder and a belt sander made the difference. If I got serious about making pipes I would buy a pipe sander.

NEW Bluerock Tools Polishing Machine for Tig Plasma Arc Welds Model 40A Pipe Polisher Sander Grinder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPI39C...abc_KSG9TCNC1AJKZBRSD5GB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I built my 2-1 out of stainless 2 years ago as the previous owner had cut down the original exhaust. I finally got around the welding up my headers from the head to the 2-1 merger. Headers are 16 ga 1.5 stainless with a 1” NOM pipe inside with a 30mm ID that is plug welded to retain exhaust velocity. About 4 inches before the merger the pipe opens up to 1.3 inches ( 33mm) and after the merger it is 1.75 OD 16 ga pipe.

Can you elaborate on “1” NOM pipe inside with a 30mm ID that is plug welded”? I know the stock headers are 1.5” OD and 1.1” ID but that’s because they are triple walled off the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the performance/flow of the single muffler compared with the OEM dual mufflers ?
I love that Stainless Steel. (y)

Following this. What you’ve done looks awesome!

I have a CL175 K6 and as usually the muffler is rotted. Looking into doing something like this.

Curious for an update?

Back
Top Bottom