• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1980 CM400E leans !

nyweb

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Well......not sure if I posted this here or not. When I park the bike it leans so bad I have to watch where I park. Where ever I posted it everyone is telling me the kickstand is bent. Well.......I've been under there looking it over today. Nothing bent, nothing twisted. It sure looks to me like the kickstand is too short ! So much that I'm afraid to go anywhere. Again.......perfectly IMG_20200926_140029.jpgIMG_20200926_140051.jpg straight and nothing twisted ! Looks like nothing has been touched either ! Sorry for the bad pics ! Phone camera sucks !

From what I can see, I'd suspect the mount on the frame has been bent by the stand. You could still use your centerstand when you go somewhere...

The clevis end of the stand is spread as well as the mount is worn. Can't do anything for the wear but you can put the clevis end in a vise and tighten that end up. Both sides should be parallel.
The other problem is if you put oversize tires on or longer than stock shocks then the frame is lifted and the stand becomes too short.
IIRC the CB450SC side stand is longer than yours, I know the center stand is.

The end where it pivots on the frame bracket. It has a bolt through it and when you remove the bolt and take the stand off, the end it pivots on looks like a U

Ok. After cleaning the underneath and laying on the floor I THINK I found the problem.

IMG_20200927_130735.jpg

I was worried of the kickstand sitting so high. Duh ! It's on the center stand !! So then I got underneath more and I see a bend. Although I don't know where the bend is !

InkedInkedIMG_20200927_130942_LI.jpg

So I'm thinking one or both of the areas with the yellow arrow are bent. If I had to guess I'd say the area on the left. Looks like a tight area to get a torch into to get it red hot and bend it !! Gotta think on this !! Or carry a piece of wood with me !!

I see both problems. The left of the 2 yellow arrows is the bend I don't think belongs, and the clevis (where it pivots on the bolt) is widened about twice as wide as it should be, adding more "slack" in the pivot allowing it to lean further. Look at the pin on the frame for the return spring... notice how the spring is not 90° to the pin? It should be, but the angle of the return spring shows how far out the stand is leaning, more than it should be.

It looks like it needs to be straightened from the arrow on the right all the way down.

In this picture the left bend is not supposed to be there. Someone deliberately bent it. You're going to need a torch to heat the metal cherry red and then bent it back to straight. Once it's straight it needs to be quenched so figure out a bucket solution that will allow you to get that section completely submerged in water.

attachment.php

Yeah, that pretty much how it looks to me as well. If he straightens both of them it will stand up too straight if it sits on the stand at all.

It seems to me I should try to get the bend on the left side straight. I'll clean it good, get it red hot, and try to straightn that bend. I'm hoping the hole in the stand isn't oblong ! Oh well......kickstands are available for the Bike !

From what I can see, I'd suspect the mount on the frame has been bent by the stand. You could still use your centerstand when you go somewhere...
I have a good center stand. The side stand with bolt came with bike when I bought it in a box, without spring. I now have a new correct spring. What are the steps to installing the new spring correctly?

It needs to be heated, then bent so the tab is 90 degrees to the spring anchor.
Sorry Mike, I jumped into this post because its the only one I've found on the topic of a side stand. My bike has a perfectly good center stand. When I bought it, the seller gave me a box of extra parts, including the original side kickstand. However he did not have the spring. I ordered one and now ready to install it. I've done this on Harley's but not a Honda Dream. What steps should I take to install? Should I use a vise and bend spring over creating small gaps between coils and inserting dimes to extend the spring so it can be installed or something else?

For the side stand I attach the spring on both ends and then pull, wiggle and finagle it until I can get the bolt in, the most relaxed position for the spring in in the riding position. You could try using a brake spring tool like this one, the long straight shaft has a cut for the locating pin to pry against. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...t=&hvlocphy=9033604&hvtargid=pla-633109376597
Center stand I do the same way

Got a junk phillips screwdriver lying around? Grind a notch on one side,just above the tip, put it thru loop in the end of the spring and hook the notch on the spring anchor and stretch the spring until the wire slides down the shaft onto the anchor pin.

Sorry Mike, I jumped into this post because its the only one I've found on the topic of a side stand.

It isn't necessary to try to be economical with posts and threads here so don't worry about that. If you don't find a thread that addresses your situation specifically, or even in general (and often if you do it might include other things unrelated to your situation) then you can just go to the proper section for your bike and the need (SOHC 400 Forum, Steering, Suspension and Frame section) and start a new thread for your question. We want everyone's questions to be fully addressed, and we have plenty of space and categories to do it properly so everyone's questions and projects get the exposure and responses necessary to get their jobs completed. If someone had seen a particular thread for a while and knew what was going on with that member's bike and later you posted your question in it, they might think it was a continuation of that member's thread and miss your addition to it. (y)

For the side stand I attach the spring on both ends and then pull, wiggle and finagle it until I can get the bolt in, the most relaxed position for the spring in in the riding position. You could try using a brake spring tool like this one, the long straight shaft has a cut for the locating pin to pry against. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...t=&hvlocphy=9033604&hvtargid=pla-633109376597
Center stand I do the same way
Will give this a try. thank you

Will give this a try. thank you

Got into it and discovered why previous owner handed me a box with the side stand in it. When I mounted the stand and operated it without spring, I noticed the stand swings well beyond 6 or 7 o'clock resting position for side stand use. It goes to 8 or 8:30 forward toward front tire. Seems the mounting bracket the stand attaches to is missing a stop lug or stop pin. I'll need to do a little more research on the bracket so I know what prevents the stand from going way too forward. Thanks for all the helpful comments and recommendations.

Thanks L.D.R. But I think my bike is a later version. The drive chain on my 1964 CA77 is on the right side of bike. Looks like this photo the chain is on the left.

RetiredLEO, that's why I suggested starting a thread of your own about your CA77 sidestand. This thread references a 1980 CM400 so of course it's going to be dramatically different (these bikes aren't like Harleys where everything fits for a 20 year span, LOL).

You can go here, pick a category that fits your question, then click the big brown button "Post New Thread" and start a new thread for your situation

RetiredLEO, that's why I suggested starting a thread of your own about your CA77 sidestand. This thread references a 1980 CM400 so of course it's going to be dramatically different (these bikes aren't like Harleys where everything fits for a 20 year span, LOL).

You can go here, pick a category that fits your question, then click the big brown button "Post New Thread" and start a new thread for your situation
Ok Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom