• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1971 CB350 . . . 40 year hibernation

The footbar you just got looks like it will work for CB down pipes. The powdercoated one seems like a CL.

Thanks. The new acquisition was advertised as a CB step bar and your assessment of the other one agrees with mine. I haven't decided which one I'll use yet, but I'm giving the ugly one a cheap-skate silver metallic paint job and will reevaluate after that is finished.

I didn't really make any progress this weekend due to a leaky fork, but, hopefully, I'll be making forward progress again soon.

Progress for this weekend...
  • installed new crush washers in the fork lowers, refilled and reinstalled the forks;
  • reinstalled front fender and front wheel using correct flange bolts;
  • installed the front fender bracket with new fasteners from Partzilla;
  • reinstalled the front wheel;
  • installed the stay bracket for the rear hub on the swingarm;
  • installed a second-hand brake pedal;
  • installed a second-hand CB step bar;
  • installed rear brake rod on the pedal and hub.
Getting the pin joint and hitch pin into that rear brake rod was pretty time consuming — at least 45 minutes of fiddling around. There isn't much space between the swingarm and motor to get any fingers in there!

jEchb9B.jpg

Probably should have mentioned it, but it's a lot easier if you do that before putting the swingarm back in the frame.

Probably should have mentioned it, but it's a lot easier if you do that before putting the swingarm back in the frame.
I don't mind learning the hard way. Makes me think more about how everything goes together.

Also, I was swapping out the bent brake pedal for a replacement, so I still would have had to do this the hard way or remove the rear wheel and swingarm again just to change the pedal.

I don't mind learning the hard way. Makes me think more about how everything goes together.

Also, I was swapping out the bent brake pedal for a replacement, so I still would have had to do this the hard way or remove the rear wheel and swingarm again just to change the pedal.
That's a nice pile of progress. I enjoy that phase of putting together all the cleaned up, painted, lubricated sub assemblies and parts. I think, I too, have learned to fit the brake strap and pedal rod to the swingarm and pedal first. Experience is slowly accumulating.
I like the red grease, it almost looks like a little blood, which is very hardcore resto. :ROFLMAO:

That's a nice pile of progress. I enjoy that phase of putting together all the cleaned up, painted, lubricated sub assemblies and parts. I think, I too, have learned to fit the brake strap and pedal rod to the swingarm and pedal first. Experience is slowly accumulating.
I like the red grease, it almost looks like a little blood, which is very hardcore resto. :ROFLMAO:
If there’s no blood, it’s not a project :)

Slow goings lately. I haven't had a lot of garage time the last few weeks. Today I was trying to sort out gauge lighting from a couple of used gauge wiring purchases, but none of them were in super great condition. So, I thought better of that and decided to order new gauge lighting from Sparck Moto – my first purchase with them.

Took stock of my exhaust brackets today. Here's what came with the bike.

DfTvHhe.jpg

Here's what CMSNL shows for the 1971 CL350. I'm not sure what model year my exhaust came from since the bike itself is a CB.

9DmcGOU.png

XMGUiD7.png

It looks like I have two correct parts and am missing two. Do the other bits seem like Honda parts or just some random pieces?

I recently acquired a 1971 CB350 step bar to compare with the one I had powder coated. I did a test fit and found that new step bar provides more clearance on the clutch cover side.

ACIwsMV.jpg
The black footbar is for the linkage style shifter and will be too far back to reach a stock direct shifter. Maybe a shorter direct shifter could work.

The black footbar is for the linkage style shifter and will be too far back to reach a stock direct shifter. Maybe a shorter direct shifter could work.
Thanks, Tom. Based on your findings, I decided to acquire a linkage shifter for this project, although 4-into-1 seems to sell both long and short shifters of the direct variety for the 350. The linkage shifter will look better on this bike.

Hopefully I'll get this project moving again towards the end of spring as school winds down. I don't have enough free time right now to tackle some of the next tasks, including installation of the aftermarket wiring harness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom