• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Bike Update + Next Steps

RocketMan

Total Posts
Total likes
IMG_4589.jpg IMG_4582.jpg

Hey y'all. Thought I'd show you what I've been changing up on the CM400. I put a fairing on it (and it kind of fits, a little separation between the headlight bucket and the fairing itself). Recently painted the gas tank (and did my first bondo job) and side covers as well, everything turned out exactly how I wanted. So my questions:

I'm looking for some new indicators that'll be compatible with the bike. I would love LED's, but i'm sure that'll require some voltage regulation or extra parts. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, any recommendations for rewiring inside the headlight bucket? I really want to replace the bucket since it has a crack in it, but I'm afraid if I don't use the stock one, nothing will fit.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what you've done.
Getting rid of the original headlight and low wattage is a great move but finding a large enough bucket can be a problem. Speedmotoco carries a number of headlights that may fill in the gap as well as hold all that wiring https://speedmotoco.com/motorcycle-headlight/motorcycle-headlights/ like this one https://speedmotoco.com/7-inch-moto...integrated-turn-signal-black-bucket-complete/ or this
https://speedmotoco.com/led-motorcycle-headlight-6-3-4-inch-headlight-black-w/
One of the nice things about this series of models is there's no shortage of electrical power so no need to switch to LED's unless you just want to. Have no recommendations for replacements

Thanks, LDR - I appreciate it

The fairing felt like a necessity since I was getting bombarded by wind, but I'm about 6'1 so it doesn't help as much as I'd like it to. Also thinking about doing the blade fuse mod you posted. I've blown through one of the glass fuses so far and it was a pain to find another one.

Good recommendation, I'll take a look at those lights. I appreciate it! Any kind of mods I need to make before I install LED blinkers or a taillight? Some kind of voltage regulator or something?

The fairing felt like a necessity since I was getting bombarded by wind, but I'm about 6'1 so it doesn't help as much as I'd like it to. Also thinking about doing the blade fuse mod you posted. I've blown through one of the glass fuses so far and it was a pain to find another one.

Good recommendation, I'll take a look at those lights. I appreciate it! Any kind of mods I need to make before I install LED blinkers or a taillight? Some kind of voltage regulator or something?

LDR has a favorite rectifier/regulator unit for your bike's charging system, he'll let you know. As for LED bulbs, you can put them anywhere as a replacements but with the turn signals you'll need a diode device to make them blink separately and make your turn indicator bulb work properly. I'm running an LED taillight bulb and gauge bulbs in my 450 (no turn signals) with no other mods.

Last edited:
LDR has a favorite rectifier/regulator unit for your bike's charging system, he'll let you know. As for LED bulbs, you can put them anywhere as a replacements but with the turn signals you'll need a diode device to make them blink separately and make your turn indicator bulb work properly. I'm running an LED taillight bulb and gauge bulbs in my 450 (no turn signals) with no other mods.

Good to know on the unit - that's what I've heard.

If I change out the front blinkers, I'll probably fork-mount them to free up some room in the bucket. Have any recommendations for LED standalone taillights?

I take it you want to change assemblies then? I just put an LED bulb in a Honda taillight assembly. Can't speak to any quality aftermarket taillights out there, very few of them have a look or shape I like. Not really a fan of it myself but possibly the Lucas-replica style, I've seen a few of them in use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luc...kgEDMC43mAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Keeping my options open. If I change blinkers, I might want to change the rear assembly to match. Good option, thank you!

Not necessary for LED's but good to do would be changing the voltage regulator to a MOSFET type. I get them here http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm
The stock regulator has a spec of 15V +/-.5V and at 15.5 you can fry a battery pretty quick by boiling the water out of it.

Back
Top Bottom