• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Inexpensive bore scopes

Yakeye

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Does anyone have any experience with an inexpensive bore scope that will hook to your iPhone or laptop. I would love to have one to look into gas tanks and cylinders. I think it would be helpful but not something that would be used very often. Therefore don’t want to spend big bucks!!!! Also I do not want to buy one off Amazon based on their reviews….. some how don’t trust those very much. If anyone has experience good or bad I would love to hear. Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve bought two off of eBay - lost the first one in a move.

They were both like $20 and connected via a wifi network that they broadcast to stream to my iPhone.

They work fine - I’ve checked the internals of cylinder walls with them and had to retrieve a bolt from my crankcase (camshaft bolts) and that little half moon damper that the cam chain tensioner sits on.

I don’t have the exact ones handy, but they generally work fine - don’t expect 1080p resolution ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ed. Sounds like some from Amazon may be perfectly adequate for my hobbyist level use.

I bought one a few years ago, never got it to work and received a refund from the seller.

I'll probably try again someday if someone has a link to one that's worked for them. My choice of random seller proved to be a poor choice.

Titan bore camera from your equivalent of Harbour Freight. It is colour and high res and comes with a few accessories, such as a magnet and a gripper and mirror for the probe end.

It works great for inside the motor or gas tanks for the condition in the back areas that you can't see from the filler neck.

That HF camera is kind of small compared to this unit and I paid about $69 Canadian for this one on sale at Princess Auto. See if there is a US based seller of the Titan brand? Order online from Princess would be about $45 US for this unit on sale.

The features included are the ability to raise and lower the magnification and the lighting on the camera end. You can also take screen shots and save them into the memory on the unit. Probably you can export them too, if I was more technical.

Given these units less than 10 years ago were three times this price and B/W only back then with a tiny screen this is progress for sure!

P1090082.jpgP1090085.jpg

The unit I bought was on eBay for about $7 if memory serves, so I guess it was more of an experiment than anything else. For $69 these days that seems like a pretty good deal, that's like a $45 price tag from 2021 right?
Best reason I see to get this unit is that the units that attach to phones might not be compatible with my next phone on down the line.
The Ames or Titan units will do what they do for hopefully a very long time.

I've got a couple of those very cheap snake endoscopes. Can't say that I'm very impressed, although one did come in useful the other day for looking into a void under the floorboards.

Here's a few images taken from inside a fuel tank that I was in the process of de rusting, judge for your self if you think these images are useful !

zy7ezSe.jpg

ut4uDxQ.jpg

9Y4Wu8X.jpg

3JtO7Tx.jpg

Thanks Richard. I think there is useful info gained from those photos.

just bought one weeks ago and posted these pictures. https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...roject-First-look-at-cylinders-with-endoscope

I got mine off ebay and it works great (less than $20). Even High Def on my PC, but lower res on my phone unless I purchase a $3 app. Photos still came out nice and clear.

Got mine off of ebay and it came with a USBC and standard USB. THe USBC fits my new samsung phone. My old scope had an older micro interface and I could have bought adapters, but it was jsut cheaper to get a new scope... They come with variable length cables such as 3 foot, 6 foot, and 25 foot. I got the 25 foot one so wnen I am working on a vehicle, I can be at one end of the vehicle and scope out something on the other end.

THey really work nice and are cheap.

Here is a link tothe one I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184500305532?var=692911234107

just bought one weeks ago and posted these pictures. https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...roject-First-look-at-cylinders-with-endoscope

I got mine off ebay and it works great (less than $20). Even High Def on my PC, but lower res on my phone unless I purchase a $3 app. Photos still came out nice and clear.

Got mine off of ebay and it came with a USBC and standard USB. THe USBC fits my new samsung phone. My old scope had an older micro interface and I could have bought adapters, but it was jsut cheaper to get a new scope... They come with variable length cables such as 3 foot, 6 foot, and 25 foot. I got the 25 foot one so wnen I am working on a vehicle, I can be at one end of the vehicle and scope out something on the other end.

THey really work nice and are cheap.

Here is a link tothe one I bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184500305532?var=692911234107

The 3 foot one is just over $10, for that price, everyone should have one, LOL

Back
Top Bottom