• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Disk brake squeal

450roo

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
The disk brake on my 450 K3 has started to squeal on moderate braking, not on light or firm. The pads are about 5 years and 10,000 miles old and look good. I removed the pads and cleaned everything with aerosol brake cleaner. That worked for a couple of hundred miles, then it started again. Had this problem a few years ago and fixed it, but I have embarassingly, forgotten how.
The web has lots of suggestions, some sound quite dangerous!
Does anyone here have experience fixing this problem?

Cleaning does not remove glazing.....Lightly sand the glaze off the pads and scuff the rotor ( cross-hatch in both directions at 45* off radial line) as well.....

I apply the thick, sticky brake system grease per the service manual, section 7.5, figure 7.93. No squeals.

Followed Steve's instructions and just back from an hour's ride through the suburbs of Adelaide for about 10 miles....not a squeak and the breaking feels as it should.
150 mile Club ride tomorrow will report if there are any problems.

Back
Top Bottom