• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Anyone have experience with Schumann Motor Works?

davidevoss

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Has anyone used used Schumann Motor Works in Portland, Oregon for head / valve work? They advertise a cylinder head / valve job for $279.99 (plus 2-way shipping of $16 each way) for a CL160. Thanks in advance, David.

My situation is very different than a stock cylinder head repair, but I sent the head for my 450 drag bike project to Chris Schumann and he did a fabulous job on it. He hand made titanium valves and ported the head, installed the valves and torsion bars (valve springs on the DOHC 450) and checked the seat tension and valve length for clearance purposes. It took him a long time but he is a super busy guy with a steady flow of regular work like what you want done that takes priority, and since my project is a long-term one the time element didn't matter. He's also done work for LDR, and if Jim is impressed with someone then that's more than good enough for me.

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...HC-450-of-course&p=59382&viewfull=1#post59382

Last edited:
My situation is very different than a stock cylinder head repair, but I sent the head for my 450 drag bike project to Chris Schumann and he did a fabulous job on it. He hand made titanium valves and ported the head, installed the valves and torsion bars (valve springs on the DOHC 450) and checked the seat tension and valve length for clearance purposes. It took him a long time but he is a super busy guy with a steady flow of regular work like what you want done that takes priority, and since my project is a long-term one the time element didn't matter. He's also done work for LDR, and if Jim is impressed with someone then that's more than good enough for me.

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...HC-450-of-course&p=59382&viewfull=1#post59382

Thanks Tom. Those heads of yours (in the link) are very, very nice! Beautiful porting job. You are right - I don't need anything fancy, just a good valve job for a bike to cruise around on. Sounds like Schumann is a good option. Thanks for the feedback. David

Chris does excellent work, he did the head on my CL350.
Jim,

Since you have said numerous times that Honda valves are single use items and cannot be ground without deleting all the Stellite, how does that agree with recommending Schumann's services? Their eBay ad says:

"This service involves disassembly, cleaning and inspection of all components. Ports and chambers bead blasted. Installation of new bronze valve guides, 3 angle valve seat machining in Serdi equipment. Valve faces and tips ground and stems polished. All valve seats vacuum tested to ensure a good seal. Final assembly with new Viton valve seals. For the 350 heads, these guides are an upgrade as the factory guides did not use a valve seal. Performance upgrades available!"​

They do list a set of new valves for $119.99 -- did you wind up buying these in addition to the $279.99 (plus shipping) package deal on the head remanufacturing?

They seem to get good reviews everywhere I have looked.

Ray

Jim,

Since you have said numerous times that Honda valves are single use items and cannot be ground without deleting all the Stellite, how does that agree with recommending Schumann's services? Their eBay ad says:

"This service involves disassembly, cleaning and inspection of all components. Ports and chambers bead blasted. Installation of new bronze valve guides, 3 angle valve seat machining in Serdi equipment. Valve faces and tips ground and stems polished. All valve seats vacuum tested to ensure a good seal. Final assembly with new Viton valve seals. For the 350 heads, these guides are an upgrade as the factory guides did not use a valve seal. Performance upgrades available!"​

They do list a set of new valves for $119.99 -- did you wind up buying these in addition to the $279.99 (plus shipping) package deal on the head remanufacturing?

They seem to get good reviews everywhere I have looked.

Ray
I had Chris install new valves since I know about the hard facing. He was out of exhaust valves at the time so he made some SS ones for me. I never noticed the wording about regrinding the valves, something I'll need to address next time I talk to him.

^^^So, it sounds like the valves were extra -- beyond the package price for remanufacturing the head. Do you recall if that put you at about the $400 mark for your CL350 head? I'm curious how they can offer a flat rate for a complete valve job, before they have inspected what the customer might send them. I guess maybe this is a question for Schumann, rather than to put you on the spot. EBay does not want buyers to contact Schumann directly until they have paid the price listed on eBay, but I did find a phone number elsewhere.

^^^So, it sounds like the valves were extra -- beyond the package price for remanufacturing the head. Do you recall if that put you at about the $400 mark for your CL350 head? I'm curious how they can offer a flat rate for a complete valve job, before they have inspected what the customer might send them. I guess maybe this is a question for Schumann, rather than to put you on the spot. EBay does not want buyers to contact Schumann directly until they have paid the price listed on eBay, but I did find a phone number elsewhere.
Yeah my head was north of $400 when done.
His phone number is 503-939-7395

David , Doc here . Criss is the one that did my head on my CB 160 . He likes it if you take out the cam and rocker arms out . You can leave valves in . Chris bore mine 1.5 over . You should give him a call and he will talk you thru the process . He also has valves and springs if you go for upgrade .

Back
Top Bottom