• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1973 CL450 for sale [SOLD]

if/else

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
cl4501.JPG
1973 CL450 (2/72)
Runs well, electric start works, no smoking, no oil leaks and never been apart as far as I can tell. I have owned the bike for 10 years and now it is time for someone else to take over the care and feeding of this great old bike. I replaced the spark advance unit (NOS) and new 4into1 coils, condensors. NGK caps (modified without resistors) New points and new B8es plugs.

Headlight works on both high and low beam and also has rear brake light working as it should. The bike runs and pulls hard from a dead stop. I ran it through the gears and it shifts as it should. The bike needs tires so I only ran it up and down the street in front of my home as well as around the yard a few times but it runs fine. I am quite familiar with the 450 as I owned and rode one back in the day K1 "1970-71".

I have always done my own wrenching on everything I have ever owned with few exceptions. I am ASE certified, (automobile) and have been wrenching since 1965.
When I bought this bike 10 years ago I had searched for one that ran and was a good start for a project and this is the one I bought.

If you are looking for a good running bike to further restore, this is an excellent candidate to check out.
The bike comes with a West Virginia open title signed by the previous owner. I ran the vin through FDLE and it came back clean.

It has a good working clutch, good brakes, very decent seat, and I cleaned and coated the inside of the tank 10 years ago with caswell and there is nothing wrong with the epoxy as it has had fuel in the tank for one year and its all good.

What it needs:
Headlight bucket, regulator/rectifier, front heat shield for exhaust, gauge assy comes with the bike but needs work. Tires are old and cracked. Speedo show 16K but I am not sure if it is the correct set of gauges for the bike.

The bike has a lot of extra parts that go with it. The bike is located in South Carolina a few miles west of I-95 due West of Charleston.

I don't really wish to part with this bike, but I feel I have to as I suffered a burglary to my home when I was gone and the shed where I kept the bike was broken open but the bike was still there but... THEY KNOW ITS IN THERE! If I keep it they will likely come back for it at some time. Add to that the fact that I now have balance issues, she has to go. I rode her around this morning and she started right up just as it should.

I adjusted the valve train and checked out the cams and they are fine. There was oil on the moving surfaces just as there should be.
During my ownership I kept the rings/cylinders lubricated with marvelous mystery oil and have changed the oil 9 times over the years even though I only started and ran the motor over the last year.

Asking price is $1500. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

CL 450 for sale -- video

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great bike! Sorry to hear somebody broke into your shed. It's a constant fear when I saw something that someone will come back to the garage for another freebie [emoji26]

I have enough on my hands but I hope this finds a good home. It looks like it will last someone for a long time

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I sold my bike

A month ago I sold my bike CL450 (1973) to a nice young man from NC. Yes I miss it but it was time. I told him about the forum and also which vendors we like. Hopefully he will join and receive all the great information available on this forum that I have enjoyed here.

Merged with your Bike For Sale thread.

Sorry to see it go, hope the new owner takes your suggestion and joins VHT.

Back
Top Bottom