• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Discrepancies found in CB450K0 parts listings

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
When looking up parts for the CB450K0 at CMSNL (and this also applies to Partzilla but in a different way), I recently discovered that there are errors in the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER 1965 USA" parts list as compared to the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER GENERAL EXPORT USA". Since I'd have to guess the engine parts were pretty much all the same between the versions, as well as the fact that in 1965 and prior to 1968 there were no 5 speed 450s in the US, there should be no parts showing the 292 middle number in the part numbers of either of those CMSNL listings (aside from any superceded numbers in later printings).

Unfortunately there are some parts with 292 middle number shown as correct for the K0 in the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER 1965 USA" section (the one I've been using for years) and I discovered the errors while talking with 12ozPBR about the oil filter valve and spring for the known-different oil filter cover for the K0 as I needed one for my pieced-together K0 bottom end for the drag bike project. The listings in the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER 1965 USA" section shows the 292 version of the oil filter valve as correct for the K0 which misled me into almost purchasing the valve from David Silver Spares. Chris pointed out what he found by using the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER GENERAL EXPORT USA" listings for the same part which showed the correct 283 middle number oil filter valve and of course, there is a significant difference between them and they are not interchangeable.

A check of Partzilla (where only one set of parts fiches are supplied for the K0 instead of an assortment for various other countries and General Export models as at CMSNL) shows that the only listing for the same part is the incorrect 292 middle number oil filter valve which will NOT work on the K0 oil filter cover. While I obviously do not know how often this might happen in other parts sections while using the "CB450K0 BLACK BOMBER 1965 USA" parts listings at CMSNL (the listings one would assume would be correct for the US), be advised that due diligence is required to be sure the part number listed is correct for your 4 speed engine and possibly for other parts of the bike.

#9 here is not the same...

rl-crankcase-cover_bigma000064e06_0478.jpg

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k0...t-usa_model14564/metal-oil-guide_15594283000/

...as #10 shown here, and clearly it is NOT due to a superceded part number

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450k0-black-bomber-1965-usa_model448/metal-oil-guide_15594292000/

Yes. I have discovered this. It's tedious. CMSNL seems to be more useful to me. But I find myself comparing against the old parts lists. CMSNL at least shows supersessions.

‘69 CB350
‘68 CB450K0

I get the impression Honda was experimenting quickly on the early models. I had a hard time figuring out upper fork covers too.

It so happens I have an extra upper fork cover for some variation of a CB450.

‘69 CB350
‘68 CB450K0

Back
Top Bottom