• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1970 SL350 KO Torque Specs

4STROKER

Total Posts
Total likes
Can anyone direct me to a good engine fastener torque spec chart for this bike?

Even with both my original Honda shop manual and a Clymers manual - values are sparse.

As an example - the gear case cover fasteners (6mm) that I believe should be 72 in. lbs..... but I would like to validate.

Honestly, the only torque values that really matter are the actual engine assembly areas like head/cylinder studs, cam sprocket bolts and crankshaft center main bearing cap. The rest of the fasteners are typical 6mm or 8mm tightness including lower crankcase bolts, though some like to use a torque wrench on the 8mm bolts in the lower case. I never use a torque wrench on anything 6mm on the bike from engine to frame to whatever. And when you say "gear case cover" I assume you mean the left and right crankcase covers (clutch and alternator), they're just 6mm JIS screws unless you replace them with allen heads in which case you should tighten cautiously (I'd use a 1/4" drive for it if it were mine, but I hate allens in Honda engines) and use anti-seize on them because the replacements are likely stainless. The reason you can't find the torque value for the crankcase covers is likely because Honda used JIS screws which are pretty difficult to overtorque.

Thanks, Ancientdad. I am changing out to Allen heads - just as a practical measure (keeping the original Phillips heads that do get buggered up easily).

I am using anti-seize on 'em and do have a nice, small 1/4" digital torque wrench I got for torqueing low numbers - like the Z50 head 'bolts'.

Since you mentioned it, I'm sure you do realize that the screws in these engines are not really phillips, they're JIS - which is why so many of them do get boogered up. If you have a true #3 JIS screwdriver (JIS t-handles are really the best, or the Vessel Megadora version) you rarely damage one during removal unless they are corroded like crazy.

Yup - I'm guilty. All I have is the Phillips assortment/sizes that gets me in trouble as you outlined - thus the Allen head cop-out.

After doing this sort of stuff for a few years I finally learned that I should just buy the Vessel Megadora Impacta JIS screwdriver. I bought a #2, but a #3 is probably better for the screws on the engine. It's just MUCH better, and it's the screwdriver I use on JIS and regular Phillips screws all the time. Amazon sells them https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megad...r/dp/B003BI8HHQ/ref=psdc_553336_t1_B000TG8OTY

Back
Top Bottom