Thread: Cam Chain Tool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cam Chain Tool

Both engines that came with my bike had the cam chains disconnected on one half of a link.
    When It comes to re-riviting the link, what do you use? I checked with my local Honda dealer (for the factory tool) and they kinda laughed at me. They said we've never worked on one of those.

I was thinking of adapting a tubing flaring tool to do the job but is there another way?
    Doug
    2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S Daily driver
    1968 CB450 K1 Hellcat - Restoration Started
    1981 Kawasaki KZ440C - Restored - Driven - Sold
    1974 Kawasaki H1E 500 - Restored - Driven - Sold
    1973 Porsche 914 - Frame up Restomod - Driven - Sold
    1972 Porsche 914 - Frame up Restoration - Driven - Sold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,198 Posts
    The answer you got from the dealership was quite typical, which is why most of us don't even bother to talk to dealerships any more unless we're asking them to check for parts by part number. When you say "one half link", that's no different than the drive chain on the bike, it's typical for any chain with some sort of master link whether a clip type or riveted style. I'm sure you realize by this point that you do not want to use a clip style on this engine. If you buy the cam chain most of us use, the DID 219T (and this guy sells the correct chain for the best price - https://www.ebay.com/itm/13344846175...IAAOxyBjBTUP20 ), yes you will need to stake or flare the pins. You have the right idea and there are tools sold for the purpose, but not all of them are decent quality as I learned the hard way. I bought the Motion Pro tool through Amazon and the first time I used it to break the chain the pin tip bent. The tip included with it intended to stake the pins was also crap, and I ended up re-working the tip intended for breaking the chain to use to stake it. In the end it worked out, but you shouldn't have to modify a brand new tool either.

I've also simply used a punch and hammer with a dolly behind the link to back it up but it takes 2 people to do it that way, though the outcome is what you want.

(move along, nothing to see here)