• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Rear sprocket dust cover. The eternal struggle

psgnw

Total Posts
Total likes
Honda CB400N Superdream
.Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 130919.jpg

I'm having trouble getting the dustcover (part 9) on the rear sprocket to stay on. Groove in the hub is good and not worn. New cushrubbers, new insert/spacer on the sprocket, new washer (part 3) and a new circlip (part 19). The sprocket have no sideways play and everything else seems to be a nice tight fit. I just can't to get my dustcover to stay in place.

It will seem to be in place and seated well until I go for a ride, then it eventually works itself off. The washer is a bit oversized and slides around and I guess I can't get it centered. Any tips here?

Also is it possible to fit the dustcover when the wheel is in place? (it's just hanging on the axle collar now). It's a total pain to have to remove the wheel and set the chain tension every time I try to get this part fitted.

It's possible to fit the cover back on with the wheel in place but it's a booger.
I suspect the oversized washer is the culprit here. The cover is supposed to slip onto and over the edge of the washer completely using the washer to wheel interference to hold it in place.

Thanks. So the washer is not supposed to have that much play? I have 3 washers and all of them are oversized compared to the cente of the hub. All of them genuine parts from CMS or David Silver Spares. Does it matter if I just run the bike without the dustcap?

Thanks. So the washer is not supposed to have that much play? I have 3 washers and all of them are oversized compared to the cente of the hub. All of them genuine parts from CMS or David Silver Spares. Does it matter if I just run the bike without the dustcap?
I'm working from memory here since it's been a few years since I had my rear wheel off. Since the washers are from DSS or CMS then I'd say they are correct, they both can make mistakes but that's pretty rare.
The cover is to protect the circlip and washer from corrosion to a degree and the way it seals against the sprocket minimizes water intrusion on the spacer to hub surface.
I would take another shot at getting it on and tight. You may need to push the inner edge in around the washer to get a solid fit.

Would it make any kind of sense to "secure" the dust cap with some silicone or adhesive? The bike was used all summer without the dust cap and I cleaned up the area every time I lubed my chain. Took the sprocket and cush apart when i changed washer, circlip and dust cap this fall and it looked clean and nice behind the sprocket.

I kind of solved this with cleaning the washer and circlip, then putting some drops of superglue to hold the washer centered and not sliding around by the pressure of fitting the rubber. Used a hook tool to fit the dust cap on with the wheel in place. Seems to be holding up fine now.

Sounds good to me, anything to avoid the frustration of it coming loose. I don't think it's that important of a part as long as regular maintenance is done and that area is kept relatively clean, the CB400T1 and other bikes with spoke wheels don't have the cover.

Back
Top Bottom