• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Oil Leak After Rebuild Questions

Well, glad you found it but that's yet another thing you could avoid with a straight shift lever. Glad it was something simple but as you mentioned, it did lead you to find the loose bolt in the detent mechanism so that's a plus and saves you another adventure down the road when the bolt falls out and it won't shift in the middle of a ride somewhere. It might have been a good idea to replace the caps, springs and rollers while the starter clutch was apart, it's a typical repair/refresh that you may end up doing later but at least it isn't a difficult fix if/when you have to do it.

Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it, it led me to find that loose bolt which could have resulted in me being stranded, and that's always a bummer. I will probably replace the starter clutch too, it's still apart and I cant put it back together til the starter is fixed so..
I think the oversight on the linkage was assuming in the back of my mind that there was something I did wrong with the rebuild. It's my first rebuild of an entire Honda engine, I did the top end on my CB175 but I never rebuilt an entire engine from a pile of parts before. So I'm actually impressed that I got this far without other issues. Up to now, everything has been just minor adjustments, fingers crossed.

As obnoxious as it is to have gone through all that when the “real” issue was right in front of you, like AD says at least you did find that bolt which would have loosened up over time and made a god awful noise as it rubbed the back of the clutch basket.

AND, you’ve got some finality to the issue, instead of wondering if you fiddled with/adjusted something just right and if it’ll crop back up again.

Re: the starter shop the best news there is that they’ll probably have a bunch of spare bits and pieces to help your starter together just right, where a lot of the kits now ship without the planetary gear bushings, and gaskets that are rare too thick so nothing goes back together right.

It took me a long time fiddling to get mine back together properly.

- 1972 CL350
- 1985 VF700F

Hey

you're exactly right! It was good that I found that loose bolt and it may have been causing part of the issue,( I'll never know) but honestly, I was really under the assumption I did something wrong internally and was looking for something inside the engine rather than just a binding linkage joint.
As far as the starter, you're correct again, the rebuild kit I received had no gaskets, the wrong size seal and incorrect sized o-rings. I know it's a universal kit but, it had hardly any parts for my starter! I'm just going to bring it to my local guy that makes these repairs all day long...like you said, he should have enough stuff kicking around to fix it.
Anyway, thanks for the support! I'll post some progress pics soon!

Back
Top Bottom