• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Loose cam chain on CA160.

Well, the motor is back together and it started really well. It seems to be a little noisier than I expected but it could be the valves clattering a little bit.
Are you sure it isn't the rear wheel drop-out plate of your bike table that is rattling? It looks like your bike is on its center stand. If you haven't added bolts to that plate and the wheel isn't resting on it, it can make a racket.

Looking really nice there. I wasn't aware that Valvoline sold a high zinc version oil, many of us use Rotella for that reason.

The bike was started and run in the driveway. If I were to start a bike in the basement, the redheaded she demon, hater of motorcycles, would descend upon me and life would not be good for Ken. You are right about the plate rattling. it has two screws holding it in place. The Valvoline oil is expensive but it runs great in my Triumphs which have push rods which the oil is made for. I was just worried that the thinner oil would cause it to clatter.

The bike was started and run in the driveway. If I were to start a bike in the basement, the redheaded she demon, hater of motorcycles, would descend upon me and life would not be good for Ken. You are right about the plate rattling. it has two screws holding it in place. The Valvoline oil is expensive but it runs great in my Triumphs which have push rods which the oil is made for. I was just worried that the thinner oil would cause it to clatter.

That’s funny.. at least you bought a matching bike colour to her hair. Should be good for a brownie point or two. ;)

The 20-50W is a fairly heavy oil, so I don’t think a different weight will make any difference. There is bound to be wear on the other internal components, as I recall you had 20+K miles on the bike. If it is set up good and runs well your golden on it.
I can’t speak to how they were at brand new noise wise, yet most of the adjustable valve lash style have some clatter has been my experience.

Valvoline is great oil for car engines, but maybe not so good for motorcycles where the wet clutch shares oil with the crankcase. If you look on your jug of oil it says, "Friction modifiers added to enhance horsepower." In a car engine, friction modifiers help to increase fuel economy. I don't know from personal experience, but I have read numerous sob stories where the motorcycle clutch that had never slipped before started slipping badly shortly after changing to an automotive oil with said "friction modifiers." If your clutch slips, it is probably because of that car oil your mechanic recommended.

You said the same oil works well in your Triumphs. Do they share oil between the primary and the crankcase? Depending on vintage, some do; some don't. The unit 650s first started sharing oil in 1970.

I haven't had any problems as of this time with the clutching slipping but I will keep this in mind should it start. The guy who recommended the Valvoline oil races it in his bikes and apparently hasn't experienced any problems. I normally ran 20w-50 Castrol for many years in my bikes. The 1977 T140v will slip the clutch in higher gears if I use the torque of the 750 motor.

Back
Top Bottom