• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB/CL175 Chinese Copy Carbs ...

michaelgj

Total Posts
Total likes
During my weekly window shopping exercise on Fleabay I noticed this (I think) new listing for CB/CL 175 carbs ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304703407...346c%7Ciid%3A1

There’s nothing new in Chinese “copycat” 175 carbs of course but these are different in that they seem to be manufactured as LH and RH units whereas previous copies seemed to be two identical carbs ie. throttle stop and mixture screws on the same side of the carb.

The photos are a bit confusing as it looks like they have been linked the wrong way round with the choke linkage so screws for both carbs are are on the inside.

I just wondered if anyone has experience of these – a couple of months ago I was on the brink of ordering some Chinese copies but managed to nurse mine back to reality thanks to the carb set up advice on this site.

Moved to Smaller Twins Carburetion section.

VHT member Richard Pitman has a set of Chinese carbs and I believe he might be using a set of them on one of his 175s. I'm sure he'll have some observations.

Wow! Nice to know there is ANOTHER CB175 in Worcestershire UK!

I'm no help with info on the Chinese product, because, like you, I 'recovered' mine with ultrasonic cleaning and a pack of goodies from David Silver (Where would we be without him?)

However, the ones you have shown do look exceptionally good with a reasonable price. Their performance though, will be the test.

If you look closely at the photo in the advert you'll see that the carbs are facing in opposite directions, so in fact they are same as the other Chinese pairs, two right hand carbs.

EDIT - I take that back, it's me who needs to look more closely !! They are indeed a left and right hand pair. However, I'm a bit confused about the odd bits at the top of the carb, is this is what used to be called a power valve on some older Keihin carbs. Not present on the CB175/200 carbs.

I've got a set of the generic Chinese carbs on my SL 175 alike, and a set of the original Wincycles carbs on the CL175. Fitted with Keihin brassware, they work OK. Floats and float valve are actually an improvement over the Keihin parts, leak and dent proof nylon floats with teflon ( or similar rubbery stuff ) tipped float needle valves, just like modern carbs. Needle is captive on the float, makes installation easier when working on the carbs fitted to the bike.

My CB175 is on it's original carbs, ultrasonically cleaned, and I have to say that it starts and idles better than the Chinese equipped bikes, full throttle same across all three.

OtBGYWI.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Richard, that's really useful feedback and sounds like I'm right to persevere with the Honda originals then based on your experience.

I can't answer your question about the possible "power valve", not that I have the faintest idea what one of those is, but I'm sure someone will be along to educate us :).

Thanks again

Yes indeed although my CB175 is probably the Cinderella of the county so far as condition is concerned . . .

Maybe so, but a bit of dressing up and a ball gown she could end up like this:

xWeypbj.jpg

NwCrUdS.jpg

8fo6dSJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Richard, that's really useful feedback and sounds like I'm right to persevere with the Honda originals then based on your experience.

I can't answer your question about the possible "power valve", not that I have the faintest idea what one of those is, but I'm sure someone will be along to educate us :).

Thanks again

I certainly would think twice about buying the carbs in the advert you've linked to here. Looks as though you'd need to rig up another petrol feed to the power jet, if that is indeed what it is.

And while we are posting photos off what could be, this is my K4 after I initially 'restored' it.

rbKT5C8.jpg

But I really wanted a K6, so it soon morphed into this. I already had the K6 tank and seat, just needed a later frame.

LPVdPXZ.jpg

Maybe so, but a bit of dressing up and a ball gown she could end up like this:

Gorgeous ... similar colour as mine but there the similarities end I think ...

Here's mine on the day I bought her.

s-l1600.jpg

Have since sorted out most of the cobbled together wiring, highly imaginitive cable routing, added new mirrors, coil, condenser, points, DS exhausts, DS shock absorbers and fixed numerous other general ****-ups. Another five years and she might just be up to your standard :) .

Last edited:
Power jets, same as on the European CB72 carburettors. More info about the power jets https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/f...ree-times-CB72-carbs-all-different-in-details

Thanks Jensen, that's interesting and informative. So, not an extra fuel hose onto that exposed jet, but an air hose from the air filter ?

Reading elsewhere on the 'net, these carbs have a smaller main jet, with the power jet system kicking in at full throttle to add extra fuel/air mix direct into the venturi, if I've read this correctly.

Happy I could add and share some relevant information. Yes, a tube of filtered air from the air filter indeed, at least that's the case with the CB72 carbs. If you look at the CMSnl website and take a look carefully at the exploded views of the CB72's you'll see it.
Yes, like I explained in the other thread, that's the case, the vacuum is controlling the amount of fuel injected direct into the venture.

Happy I could add and share some relevant information. Yes, a tube of filtered air from the air filter indeed, at least that's the case with the CB72 carbs. If you look at the CMSnl website and take a look carefully at the exploded views of the CB72's you'll see it.
Yes, like I explained in the other thread, that's the case, the vacuum is controlling the amount of fuel injected direct into the venture.
I won't pretend to understand all this but nonetheless appreciate you and Richard taking the time to explain the differences. It has definitely convinced me to stick with Honda/Keihin's finest even if they are 50 years old !

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom