• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL77 front brake cable question

Flyin900

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
The bike I am restoring came with a lower set of handlebars on the bike and what appeared to be a original front brake cable with no issues other than age. The bike also came with two correct scrambler handlebars with the cross brace and clearly a taller rise on them than the bars that were on there.
I ordered the correct part number for a replacement front brake cable based on the parts fiche and the picture of the handlebars on the parts fiche matches the scrambler style with the cross brace in that fiche.

I now find the replacement cable is not really long enough at a measurement of 51” and in comparing it to original cable on there, it too is 51” in length.
Given the taller rise on the correct bars with the cross bracing something isn’t correct, yet there are no other cables listed for this bike other than what I ordered. I feel I need a 54” cable to do the proper fit and adjustment of the front brake assembly.
This cable is unique to the bike with a special large knurled adjustment nut on the handlebar lever end and a grey colour that most early Honda bikes used. So not as simple as getting a custom cable from the usual suspects such as Motion Pro.

Thoughts and suggestions on this situation

Same as above

I cannot edit the above post so here is an addendum.

If a few of the current owners of these bikes that are restoring them with the correct scrambler bars could measure the length of their front brake cable and routing that would be helpful. The routing on my cable is straight up into the front of the frame crown and through to the right hand side of the bars.
This is the most direct routing and nothing shorter is possible in what I can see presently.

Here is the cable picture with the large knurled nut and while I can find slightly longer cables for other bikes they don't use this specific adjustor knurled nut. So my option is to buy a longer somewhat correct cable and un soldier one or both ends and change over to the correct end pieces to match the other left clutch cable which does fit correctly in length.

If anyone has other solutions, or knowledge of a correct brake cable in the 53-55" length with these style of fittings, I would be grateful for the information.

P1080834.jpgP1080835.jpg

Back
Top Bottom