• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Can I fit much later silencers?

Windmill John

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
250K0.

Does anyone know, with a little modification expected, if much later silencers will fit a 68?

Even as late as Dream. Or Super Dream etc.

I’m finding it extremely difficult to check or source silencers; obviously….

I’m happy to take the gamble of buying a Super Dream silencer to test if there is a possibility it can be made to fit.

Please be more specific as "Dream" or "Super Dream" means little without a CB/CL/SL/CA/CM designation, engine cc, and K model or year on our side of "the pond"......

I know a lot of people don’t mind, but my K0 is very loud; don’t tell ancientdad….

I just want to find something quieter. I’ve had a K4 years ago and I’d be more than happy with those silencers.

I'm happy to forgo a little non standard to reduce the decibels. I’ve had a lot of bikes; too many and nothing comes close to the volume; maybe an old British bike I had…

I’d be happy buying the CB250N silencers to try, but would need to get down pipes. If I cut mine and the silencers were bad, or didn’t fit…..!!!

Since your CB250K0 is essentially a smaller displacement engine in a CB350K0 frame why not go with CB350 pipes and mufflers?

Davidsilverspares.com should still have some decent quality reproduction mufflers that will fit your CB250K0;I'm referring to the CB350K4 model mufflers which I saw on their site a few months back.
I have worked with CB350K3-K4 bikes and the model HM344 stock mufflers also has letter stampings in their cases which say CB250/350.

Thanks both. I know they are the same, David Silver are out of stock, I have had them on back order with them since I got the bike!!!

No one else in UK seems to list any K ones. Classic Bike sell some, but I’ve heard they are loud.

I think that the pattern pipes sold by DS et al are / were made by the Brituro company, located in Birmingham.

HONDA CB250 – Brituro

Might be worth giving them a ring ?

Ashimoto actually got them to make him a pair to his specification - unchromed, so that he could tidy the seam welds before getting them chromed.

There should be plenty of 250N silencers available and all will be 'semi- universal' as most come with adapters for different diameter pipes.
The only 'problem' I've ever found fitting mismatched pieces will be the rear mount will need to be fabricated.
Sometimes it's as simple as filing out the mounting holes and other times it's make a complete new bracket.
As 250N mounts silencer to swing arm pivot you will almost certainly need to make something. Use 3mm thick steel, probably get some from B&Q?
As long as you have am hacksaw and a drill it's simple enough

Thanks again. I got a pair of universals two weeks ago. Was due to fit this week, but something came up.
Hopefully next Saturday. I’m leaving myself plenty of time for any adaptation, including a bracket as a side stand stop.

LOL, I probably still have a few of those laying around from fitting aftermarket exhausts at Leslie Griffiths Motors and Two Wheel Services (even though neither exist any longer)
I hear Thunder Road Motorcycles are doing OK though with the same general manager from TWS and LGM (Bridgend South Wales)

The CB250 N was pretty reliable as it was designed as a 400.
Bit overweight and under powered but overall a very good bike. (better IMHO than the fourstroke offerings from Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki RD25- would 'piss all over it' though
The only real issue was the ignition pick up failed on low speed circuit and wasn't available without buying complete alternator (about 325 Pounds Stirling in 1980, American keyboard sucks without pound sign!)
I went to a course at Honda UK they had skips (dumpsters) full of bad alternators that had been returned under warranty.
The 'most reliable' part I found was regulator rectifier.
It was designed for at least 25 amps @13.8 volts.
As the CB250 was 'most stolen and most crashed ' bike in Britain there was a great supply of almost new R/R and they were cheap.
I fitted them to most Suzuki's with a permanent magnet alternator plus various Yamaha's and a couple of Kawasaki's (Suzuki still don't fit a decent R/R, at least up til 2010 when I got out)
The 400N was actually a much better bike and took an amazing amount of abuse before something broke.
Worst I ever saw on 400N was snapped crankshaft, the guy was really trying hard to break it for 10 months
Personally I liked the styling of the 'N'. it was sold as Eurosport in Britain and France, probably the rest of Europe as well?.

Back
Top Bottom