• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

78 CB400 TWIN

83CM250C

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all I grabbed this one yesterday for son's upgrade from 83CM250C. Less than 5000Km on the meter, perfect tool kit and manual. Mufflers have rotted inside; the left one is probably not serviceable or repairable. Four owners, decades of barn storage on an ocean coast. Tank will be fine. We'll probably want to keep this one as original as feasibly possible. The large exhaust expansion chamber between headers and mufflers appears intact. What are guys doing for muffler replacements in this situation; what years are same or nearly same for "bolt-on"? eBay stuff is pricey to ship here to Atlantic Canada. If many models are interchangeable including later in this range I'm hoping to possibly find good used replacements, will also consider aftermarket if same or nearly same style.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 33
To keep original means mufflers from a 78 or 79 CB400, the slight reverse cone shape isn't present on later models in the US. Canada got some pieces different than the US.

I looked at websites eBay, J&P Cycles, David Silver Spares, CMSNL, Partzilla, and 4into1.
I searched eBay three different ways :
once with "1978 Honda CB400 exhaust muffler"
once with "Honda 18430-413-003" and
once with "Honda 18430-413-013"
also putting a check in the checkbox for eBay to also search descriptions along with listing titles

It appears the mufflers on your '78 CB400 are only compatible with '78 and '79 mufflers like "L.D.R."-Jim mentioned above.

There is 1 used left-side muffler on eBay in California that looks pitted and worse than the muffler on your '78 showing in your photo above.
There is also 1 new (NewOldStock) left-side muffler on eBay in England that I will send you the link to privately.

J&P Cycles shows to have 2 styles of new EMGO (aftermarket) mufflers on their website.
David Silver Spares and CMSNL appear to have zero in stock but both will take your contact info for future IF they acquire any.

CMSNL has in stock new aftermarket sets of head pipes if that is what you meant instead of tailpipe mufflers.

The aftermarket exhaust manufacturers that I know of are:
MAC, Delkovic, EMGO, Vance & Hines, Kerker, Bassani, and Yoshimura

Another option would be to cut out the rotten rusted section of yours and weld in new metal and maybe then have the repaired pipe or muffler re-chromed or if the rot section is small enough, maybe wrap it closed with special exhaust pipe wrap.

I've also seen a BringATrailer Honda seller in Wisconsin has who sold several used '70s/'80s Honda bikes with "repaired" mufflers that may be worth contacting to learn how they repaired their rust-rotted mufflers on bikes they've sold or serviced.

Check your private messages here for the link to the NOS muffler in England that I am going to send now.

Boosted is doing the Lord's work there with his mega-reply! I will say that I've been eye-balling the mufflers from David Silver Spares for some time now and they do go in and out of stock (seen it for a few cycles now); they'll eventually be back in stock.

thanks guys

Thanks for all the help, well beyond the call of duty! This bike will be on the lift much of the long winter here. I have been considering the possibility of salvaging these mufflers as the chrome looks so good and I have a "fab friend" that can weld and braze. This bike was a good score, quite a daytrip in distance and you can tell my son is on board with it! He expressway commuted a summer job with the CM250C so next year he'll be able to hold his lane better with the 400. 4972km on the meter!

Just curious if you decided a route to take for the mufflers on your CB400? I also have a '78 and the prior owner went with some bobbed café style mufflers, which, while sounding nice, didn't even line up with the mounting bolts and were just left at the mercy of the clamps that secure them to the power chamber...

Just curious if you decided a route to take for the mufflers on your CB400? I also have a '78 and the prior owner went with some bobbed café style mufflers, which, while sounding nice, didn't even line up with the mounting bolts and were just left at the mercy of the clamps that secure them to the power chamber...

OP was last here in December of '22, hopefully he'll get a notification email about the post and reply.

sorry such a delayed reply

I was sort of off the grid for a bit. I went with the EMGO 24" megaphone, as I found one of them NOS fairly locally. We're happy with the result; they certainly sound fine.

Attachments

• 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for checking back in and letting us know the outcome. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Back
Top Bottom