Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Two VHT members conspiring

  1. #1
    Senior Member ballbearian's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.21.21
    Location
    Hagerstown MD USA
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    639
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

    Two VHT members conspiring

    A great 2nd ride, a new friend and a real honey of a Dream. Got to meet up with member 2Wheel at his garage and check out his herd and newest pony. He lives in a beautiful rural area and had an awesome day to ride there. My CB160 ran great and now has 40 miles on the rebuilt motor. He was working on his carb and fuel system so we talked about the unique petcocks and other stuff on Dreams. A great day.



    Rodney took a pic of me and a better shot of his herd. I can't wait to ride his CB200T one of these days.



  2. #2
    Senior Member 2wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.21
    Location
    Greencastle PA
    Posts
    351
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    46
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    123
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Was a great couple of hours.
    1966 CA77 305 Dream
    1976 CB200T
    1975 XL250
    72 CL450
    84 CR60
    1980 KZ1000 B4

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hondaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.03.21
    Location
    Worcester, UK
    Posts
    399
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    82
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Great photos. Always good to see these bikes in a 'live' situation; a testament to their owners toil and dedication!
    1970 CB175 K4 (UK version)

  4. #4
    Benevolent Dictator ancientdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.21.20
    Location
    Nature Coast, FL
    Posts
    16,314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,692
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,067
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    ^^^Absolutely agree with all above, a great example of the brotherhood of our vintage bikes and getting to ride together.

    Wish I had a few members local to me to ride with, we just don't have enough vintage-minded people in my area full of snowbird retirees.
    (move along, nothing to see here)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    07.23.20
    Location
    Davis,CA. USA
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    564
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    196
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    ballbearian,Your blue/white CB160 is looking sharp;how's she running for you ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member ballbearian's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.21.21
    Location
    Hagerstown MD USA
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    639
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbikek411 View Post
    ballbearian,Your blue/white CB160 is looking sharp;how's she running for you ?
    So far, great. The first ride about 15 miles, I kept it around 40mph. The second ride, another 25 miles about 50 then 55mph. I did hit 60 briefly and it pulls strong, hard to not let her rip yet.

    Another ride or two and it'll be time for an oil change, filter clean, cam chain adjustment, valves, compression test, plug check and maybe carb tweaking.

    I'm pleased with the 6 disc clutch mod and the fork clean and refill, even the ancient rear shocks are tolerable but I may bump the tension up from lowest to middle setting.

    It's such a light little thing, a perfect squirrelly road squirrel bike.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    06.01.20
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    536
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    25
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    173
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    07.23.20
    Location
    Davis,CA. USA
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    564
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    196
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    How do you like how the mufflers are performing on your CB160 ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member ballbearian's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.21.21
    Location
    Hagerstown MD USA
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    639
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbikek411 View Post
    How do you like how the mufflers are performing on your CB160 ?
    They're not mufflers. They are open megaphones with perforated baffle end caps. I have some stainless steel potscrubbers to put in the ends, probably 2 on each side, but I haven't done it yet. They are pretty loud even with the caps on.


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    07.23.20
    Location
    Davis,CA. USA
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    564
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    196
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ballbearian View Post
    They're not mufflers. They are open megaphones with perforated baffle end caps. I have some stainless steel potscrubbers to put in the ends, probably 2 on each side, but I haven't done it yet. They are pretty loud even with the caps on.


    Those pipes are the most 'Free Flowing' as you can get !
    I hope your neighbors don't get too stressed

  11. #11
    Administrator LongDistanceRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.22.20
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington USA
    Posts
    7,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,231
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,453
    Thanked in
    1,924 Posts
    I'd cross drill those muffler cap bolts for a cotter pin or hitch pin. The vibration will back them off and then you lose the cap somewhere on the road.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T aka the Roadbike, 1978 CB400T1 semi restored, 1972 CL350K4 restoration and the 1971 SL350K1 disaster zone.
    Plus 2 SL350K0's , 2 SL350K1's, 1 CL350K0 and 1 CL350K1 waiting for space and time
    Contact: 408-239-9580 or [email protected]

  12. #12
    Senior Member ballbearian's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.21.21
    Location
    Hagerstown MD USA
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    639
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LongDistanceRider View Post
    I'd cross drill those muffler cap bolts for a cotter pin or hitch pin. The vibration will back them off and then you lose the cap somewhere on the road.
    That's a darn good idea. They have split washers now and I've checked a few times. I'm sure I'd know the second they fell off though .

  13. #13
    Senior Member Randall's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.26.21
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL, USA
    Posts
    550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    90
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Do I spot a mid 70's XL250 in the back? I almost died on one of those in 1979, and didn't ride again for 40 years.
    1982 Honda CM450E

    Semi-retired transplanted Mainah

  14. #14
    Senior Member 2wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.21
    Location
    Greencastle PA
    Posts
    351
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    46
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    123
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Do I spot a mid 70's XL250 in the back? I almost died on one of those in 1979, and didn't ride again for 40 years.
    Yes. 1975.
    86FFDFFF-E1BE-41D5-9D92-ECCFCC0FD841.jpg
    1966 CA77 305 Dream
    1976 CB200T
    1975 XL250
    72 CL450
    84 CR60
    1980 KZ1000 B4

  15. #15
    Benevolent Dictator ancientdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.21.20
    Location
    Nature Coast, FL
    Posts
    16,314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,692
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,067
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Do I spot a mid 70's XL250 in the back? I almost died on one of those in 1979, and didn't ride again for 40 years.
    See, now you gotta tell the story.
    (move along, nothing to see here)

  16. #16
    Senior Member Randall's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.26.21
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL, USA
    Posts
    550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    90
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    OK. I had one almost just like it when I was younger. Thing would go thru or over anything, so much fun to ride. It was my ticket to freedom and adventure when I was 19. Just barely street legal, and probably not all that safe at high speeds on the road, but I didn't care. Until I did.

    I was on a typical adventure down a dirt country road in Maine, when I got turned around. I thought I knew the long winding driveway thru this particular piece of woods, because I dated the daughter of the house at the end of it. Except I thought I was heading into the property, but I really was going the other way. I came around a corner, kicked third gear, and hit a steel cable attached to two trees that the father had put there to keep vehicles out when they were away. No time to react.

    Luckily, the cable hit right around the handlebars, flipping me and the bike end over end over the top. Had that cable been a couple of inches higher I would have taken it in the torso, and that would have been a very bad thing indeed.

    It bent the handlebars and front end, and threw me quite a distance. I was hurt, but I was able to limp home on it. I parked it, scared as hell. I sold it and never wanted to get on another one until about a year ago. I was wearing a helmet.

    Now for some reason I can't stay off the damn things again. I guess 40 years was enough time to get over it.
    1982 Honda CM450E

    Semi-retired transplanted Mainah

  17. #17
    Benevolent Dictator ancientdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.21.20
    Location
    Nature Coast, FL
    Posts
    16,314
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,692
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,067
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    OK. I had one almost just like it when I was younger. Thing would go thru or over anything, so much fun to ride. It was my ticket to freedom and adventure when I was 19. Just barely street legal, and probably not all that safe at high speeds on the road, but I didn't care. Until I did.

    I was on a typical adventure down a dirt country road in Maine, when I got turned around. I thought I knew the long winding driveway thru this particular piece of woods, because I dated the daughter of the house at the end of it. Except I thought I was heading into the property, but I really was going the other way. I came around a corner, kicked third gear, and hit a steel cable attached to two trees that the father had put there to keep vehicles out when they were away. No time to react.

    Luckily, the cable hit right around the handlebars, flipping me and the bike end over end over the top. Had that cable been a couple of inches higher I would have taken it in the torso, and that would have been a very bad thing indeed.

    It bent the handlebars and front end, and threw me quite a distance. I was hurt, but I was able to limp home on it. I parked it, scared as hell. I sold it and never wanted to get on another one until about a year ago. I was wearing a helmet.

    Now for some reason I can't stay off the damn things again. I guess 40 years was enough time to get over it.
    That's quite a story and getting blindsided, so to speak, is one of the worst things that can happen when dirt riding into the unknown. I'm amazed it never happened to me in some form, I rode trails (even at night) in our most popular riding area (Croom, off I-75 at the SR 50 exit north of Tampa) at speeds that would be scary under any conditions when I was 17 to 19 years old on my SL350K1s ad my XL250K0. We rode by our (weak) headlights at night back then and it's a wonder we didn't crash into each other or trees or other stuff, sometimes running well into 4th gear blasting down trails just following the guy in front who might decide to change trails in a second at any point. Crazy times, lots of fun but certainly pushing the envelope pretty hard.
    (move along, nothing to see here)

  18. #18
    Senior Member 2wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.21
    Location
    Greencastle PA
    Posts
    351
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    46
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    123
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    I’ve hit lots of trees with my handlebars on my old SL125 riding at night. You go from riding along to flying thru the brush in an instant.
    1966 CA77 305 Dream
    1976 CB200T
    1975 XL250
    72 CL450
    84 CR60
    1980 KZ1000 B4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •