• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

any damper cleaning tricks?

Forden

Total Posts
Total likes
Unlike my other bikes the damper assembly on the CB (#7 below) does not come apart, and it does feel like there is some accumulated sludge at the bottom--didn't all come out after the first trip through the parts washer. Just wondering if anyone has a particularly inventive way of getting it clean inside, other than a soak in good strong solvent and working the plunger up and down?
cheers
Mike
Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 9.07.49 AM.png

I have a piece of 2" ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end that I put the cheapest atf fluid I can find in and pump the damper, let sit and pump again a couple times. I usually spray WD40 into the damper as a first step.

I have a piece of 2" ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end that I put the cheapest atf fluid I can find in and pump the damper, let sit and pump again a couple times. I usually spray WD40 into the damper as a first step.

Just the type of thing I was asking for, thanks. Didn't think of using ATF but makes sense. I feel the plungers go past a brief resistance (contour of tube inside?) about 1" before it bottoms out, just around where the plunger passes the damping holes. Any idea what that is / its function?

Back
Top Bottom