• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Turn Signal Flicker at High RPM [SOLVED]

Ribrickulous

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Per title - seeing a turn signal flicker when I’m around 4-5,000 rpm and above.

I can see it in the turn signals themselves as well as the tach indicator.

LED turn signals and indicator. Appropriate flasher relay and diode (I think it’s from 4into1, been on the bike awhile).

Whole Rick’s setup - reg/Rec, stator, and rotor.

Checked the voltage and it’s steadily at 14.3-14.35V above 4,000. Lowest I saw it at was about 13.2V but the battery was fresh off the battery charger.

Anyone know if the flasher relay is just bad or is the high-ish voltage not going to work with any relay?

Issue has only showed up in this most recent build with the high output electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually this happens at low rpm/idle with standard bulbs due to voltage draw but with LED's there's very little. 1st thought is it's the voltage regulator cycling where there's just enough draw to trigger the shunt.

That's some really good voltage there.
I would change the flasher and see what happens.

What does it do with the flasher unplugged? Any a/c voltage showing up at the rectifier output wire? Possibly, emp interference from the plug wires?

What does it do with the flasher unplugged? Any a/c voltage showing up at the rectifier output wire? Possibly, emp interference from the plug wires?

You know what I’m running LZFH (non resistor) plug caps and regular B8ES (non resisted) plugs.

I hadn’t thought of that before… I’ll try popping in some resistor plugs and seeing if anything changes.

You know what I’m running LZFH (non resistor) plug caps and regular B8ES (non resisted) plugs.

I hadn’t thought of that before… I’ll try popping in some resistor plugs and seeing if anything changes.

So glad I don't bother with turn signals... :lol:

I get that it could look like that but it’s the same across every bulb (including the indicator in the tach face).

I’ve got a new flasher relay coming from sparckmoto that I should be able to have fit up early next week.

If that doesn’t work I’ll look into a solid state relay, but I’m hopeful the current flasher is either just busted or can’t deal with some characteristic of the flashers/circuit.

Did you unplug the flasher, to see if that was the source of the problem? Also, unplug the alternator leads, to see if the charging circuit is causing the problem.

that looks like a electrical feedback of some kind. check the grounds on everything.

For reference there’s no flicker in the headlight or other gauge lights under any load, so I didn’t bother pulling the charging circuit out.

Back
Top Bottom