• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

I did it again, a ride without pictures or video

ancientdad

Administrator
Staff member
Total Posts
Total likes
My upstate South Carolina tour guide, 12ozPBR, outdid himself yesterday. I expected we'd go for about 50 to 60 miles or so nearby the cabin after picking up a rental car for my wife for a couple days, but he created an impromptu ride of epic proportions and silly me left the GoPro at the cabin.

It started out simple enough with a stop for a pedestrian picture at a spot only a few miles away.

7VE1Y0m.jpg

But then we headed further upstate, stopping every 25 to 30 miles to top off my tiny tank and before I knew it we were in southern North Carolina. If only I could reproduce the images my eyes took in while blazing along through the beautiful forests on the many winding roads like 64, 183, 130, 107 and 11, some shown in the map screenshot below, weaving their way through areas like Walhalla, Salem, Sapphire, Lake Toxaway and Cashiers and eventually back to Pickens. I had my trusty 2 liter gas bottle stuffed in my tank bag in case the fuel stops were too far apart, and all went well... until it didn't. (map here)

kI4HwRn.jpg

On our last leg of the ride, about a half hour from darkness (of course), we came upon a wreck involving a logging truck and another vehicle that ended up in a deep ditch, multiple fire trucks and ambulances arriving on scene right after we get there. Road was blocked, no police there yet, not at all sure we could get past it, so we had to double back and find an alternative route. First attempt involved a twisty side road and we passed an unmarked road that could have been a solution, only to come out right near the police blocking further traffic from going in the direction of the crash. We turned around, and knowing I'd gone close to 50 road miles since the last fill-up I expected to run out shortly (and though the reserve function seemed to be working correctly when I had the tank off recently, it proved to be non-functional again as it was last spring when I ran out during Chris' visit and he employed the roadside water bottle fuel rescue). So the 2 liter bottle got its debut.

7mgkLRf.jpg

It all worked out, though we went the last 10 to 15 miles through dusk with it fully dark before we got back to the cabin. A chilly finale to the ride to find out for the first time how my "headlight" works at night... which would be okay for short distances, but as expected it wasn't so good glaring in Chris' mirror. :rolleyes:

We'll be off soon to more adventures today.

Sounds like a fantastic adventure so far. Wrecks. Yours and others. Detours. Sights. Great roads. Heck.

What next? Have you plans for a high speed chase?

69 CB350K1/68 CB450K0

Well, not exactly a high speed chase... but I typically chase Chris on his CB450K1 because he knows the area and I'm just visiting. Despite our ride that day being a really good one yet not recorded, today turned out great too and I'll be viewing the video this evening. It'll take me a week or two to get it edited and uploaded (the upload itself might take a week at my pissy DSL speed at home, even this cabin has way better internet) but I'll get it done.

Sounds like you both had a great run together. Nice pictures as well with the fall leaves on the ground, love this time of year, best temps for riding. Two great looking bikes too.

Sounds like you both had a great run together. Nice pictures as well with the fall leaves on the ground, love this time of year, best temps for riding. Two great looking bikes too.

Thanks Perry. It definitely is a great time of year here, glad we came up a couple weeks earlier this time. I'll be looking at the videos this evening, hopefully they look as good as the fun we had making them. This year we did over 300 miles total, almost double what we did last year so it's a shame I was an idiot and didn't take the GoPro yesterday :neutral:

So glad to hear of many miles of good rolling fellowship. I must say, I really enjoy riding with another, on point or at 6. Following frees your mind to wander and just take it in, even secretly hoping for a wild hare or wrong turn so we can get lost awhile :). This all reminds me, I'm about due for another excellent adventure. I must remember to take pics too. Happy trails guys!

After we had to forego Bike Night due to the rain that moved across the entire southeast, yes things got really nice. I did a solo ride today of 45 miles, kinda a sayonara ride. We're leaving for home tomorrow morning. :sad: Just got finished with the hardest part, loading the bike on the carrier.

Pictures (and eventually videos) to come in a new thread.

After all the work you've done for us on this forum, you definitely deserved a good outing and it seems like you got one. And the 450 ran well and gave you miles of good riding. Videos are great but the pleasure you got just rolling through the hills of the Carolinas is the real reason you were there. We understand that.

After all the work you've done for us on this forum, you definitely deserved a good outing and it seems like you got one. And the 450 ran well and gave you miles of good riding. Videos are great but the pleasure you got just rolling through the hills of the Carolinas is the real reason you were there. We understand that.

Thanks Bob and I agree, but I also like to share the experiences with the forum too. Last fall's trip here was a really good one as well, but this year we did even more miles of great roads and if it's possible, the riding was even better. Kinda sets the bar a bit higher for next year. I haven't even had enough time to watch all the video segments yet myself, looking forward to editing them. And you're right, this year the bike ran perfectly (it developed an intermittent miss on the last riding day last year, turned out to be a loose condenser bullet connector) so other than running out of fuel twice because of my tiny tank, all went really well.

Loaded the bike up last night and got up at 5:30 this morning to try to get an early start on the road home. A week goes by in the blink of an eye, time flies when you're having fun.

We got in about 7 pm yesterday, unloaded the minimums and left the bike on the carrier. This year the trip home went really well, clear skies and few road delays. Still a lot of driving for an old lower back requiring multiple stops to loosen up and get the aches and pains out of the legs. If only the truck wasn't a standard cab so the seat could be moved a bit now and then, but my 6'1" frame barely fits with the seat jammed all the way back against the back wall of the cab. And the black and blue is almost cleared up on my right ankle too. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom