• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB500T front fork clearance ...

KnuckleBustingTwin

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Gurus ...

Fielding some thoughts on my front end for the CB500T build ... for reference, I am converting the front wheel to a drum brake (I know it doesn't have the stopping power of a disc, it's purely aesthetic as I like the look better) ... that said, I am lacing my own front rims and using the drum from a '72 CL450 (so new rim, new spokes) ...

I am planning to use a 19' x 2.15, 36 spoke rim ... I really like the look of a "fat tire" on both the front & back and am planning to run the Coker Firestone vintage tire (I know they are not the best either, but I'm not planning any highway or high speed riding, mainly just around the neighborhood stuff) ... https://www.cokertire.com/tires/400-19-firestone-deluxe-champion-blackwall-tire.html

According to the fitment on the Coker site, I need a 2.15 rim width for the 400 tire I would like to use ...

I measured the inside diameter of the triple tree holes and it appears I have appx 5 & 7/16" clearance between the fork tubes ... I am unlikely to use a front fender (will likely put a fork brace on) ... what am I not taking into consideration? Thoughts?

Triple Tree clearance.jpg

Thanks Bill

I guess you'll have to assemble your forks and hub, and measure distance between fork lowers to compare to tire width per manufacturer's specifications.

First thing you missed is the CL 450 drum brake hubs take 40 spokes........
However, the 305 hub (CB/CL 77) is the same diameter but a 36 hole pattern.....

First thing you missed is the CL 450 drum brake hubs take 40 spokes........
However, the 305 hub (CB/CL 77) is the same diameter but a 36 hole pattern.....

Steve ... I believe the fork tubes from the '72 CL450 and CB500T are both 35mm ... I have lower casings from both the CL450 and the CB500T ... I like the lowers from the CL450 better than the CB500T as they don't have the mounts for the disc brake on them ... however, I don't have the fork tubes from the CL450 ... as they are both 35mm, is it possible to use the fork tubes from the CB500T in conjunction with the lower casings from the CL450?

They look different in the diagrams at the tops of the tubes, but could the bottoms of the fork tubes be interchangeable?

Thanks Bill

IF you have, and employ, ALL the 500T internals, and ONLY use the aluminum slider casing, I believe it will work, but I have never actually fitted that particular "mis-match" together.....I have done similar "mis-matches" on/with smaller bikes when shorter or longer forks were necessary to the design aesthetics......Phone to discuss further...540-525-5199

Back
Top Bottom