• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Starter Cable Connects to Ground?

CptCaveman

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi folks,

I'm rewiring my CB400N and while checking things are hooked up ok, I've noticed that the starter cable seems connected to ground. The wiring of the starter looks a little rough and is exposed. There was no issue with the starter before I took the machine apart and I didn't touch the starter connection at all... so wondering if it can work this way? I'm assuming also that the starter uses the frame as ground?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure this is for exactly your bike (don't know the year), but typically Honda grounded the negative terminal of the battery to an engine mount bolt and the positive cable for the starter comes from the solenoid as shown in this parts fiche. The starter grounds through the engine to the frame.

honda-cb400n-1980-a-france-right-side-cover-battery_bigma000119f15_68cc.jpg

Thanks for this - there seems to be a short from the starter positive terminal to the frame. The boot (part 8 in the fiche) is missing... it's late here, I'll continue my investigations in the morning. Thanks again AD

Back
Top Bottom