• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CL175 exhaust

TMSHORT

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
A long (and likely expensive) shot, but I would like to replace the exhaust on my CL175.
The one that came with it has the muffler shoddily welded in place, and I would like the bike to be as stock as possible.

No big hurry, it runs fine. But if anyone sees anything, let me know.

FYI. If your not aware the sloper exhaust and the later model you appear to have are not interchangeable. They look the same in the early upright motors, yet the pipes to the head mounting are quite different.

Still on the hunt ...

These are $$$. How do I make sure they are truly the 1972 version (as stated)? To my inexperienced eye they look right, but I don't know all the nuances / variations. Mine is a 1972 K6...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3346054190...UOsjtDtt6pHAOZrzDbDHm6f60=|tkp:Bk9SR5CoytSFYQ

I'm not the most knowledgeable on 175s but I did find this as a comparison. The link you posted says it's an HM-343 exhaust but the number can't be seen on it. In this UK eBay ad below it says their exhaust is also an HM-343 and they look the same, so the one you're looking at would seem to be correct. Richard Pitman would be a better judge of it than I but I believe it's correct.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31361001...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

They look correct from the angle of the pipes where they go into the head. That is the difference and those are angled inwards, plus the style is newer than the sloper designed ones with the heat shield. IMO that is a reasonable price given the condition which while not perfect is probably the best your going to get for a used set. I would offer $600.00 and see what happens, or less if your so inclined.
As a reference I paid $450.00 US 3 years ago for a correct NOS set from an Ebay seller without the heat shield. I back doored EBay by figuring out who the seller in North Carolina was and approached him directly, so he didn't have to pay the EBay fees on the sale.

Here is the sloper set and the style you need side by side with the differences at the header pipe. The sloper is the left pic and the style you need is on the right.

Oh yeah I think I am an expert on these now after an ass clown EBay seller listed and sold me the wrong set on the right as a sloper exhaust and since a month had passed before I discovered the mistake he refused to take them back. (n) The second seller was a much better person to deal with and I was able to sell the wrong set at a loss here in Canada. So my motto now for EBay is don't trust and verify first, since many sellers don't know what they are selling. Rant over.

P1070008.jpg

So my motto now for EBay is don't trust and verify first, since many sellers don't know what they are selling. Rant over.

Amen to the phrase in bold above, I've been saying it for a long time. Thanks for showing the picture angle that displays the headpipe differences.

I still have a set of CL175 sloper pipes in my loft, because the seller didn't specify the year, and I assumed that they were the later type. I paid around 300 UKP for these, and would part with them for a similar price. Plus shipping, of course.

The sloper pipes:

CqOmQ8D.jpg

The pipes in the first Ebay listing here are identical ( so far as the heat shields are concerned ) to the pipes that my CL175 K7 came with. That system is stamped HM343.

I later got lucky and bought a NOS K3 right hand pipe and silencer for (AFAICR) 80 UKP from David Silver. This is stamped HM316. It fits my K7 fine, but the rear heatshield mounts don't line up, easy enough to get around by making up an adaptor plate.

The K3 pipes with K7 heatshields fitted.

d3kOnzA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom