• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

50 year old clutch cable 73 cb350g

Dleader91

Total Posts
Total likes
PREFACE: I had carpal tunnel release on both hands in Feb.

I cannot pull the clutch lever in without using all my grip strength and all fingers and there's no way I can hold it in. I also have a 74' CL360 that has been recently serviced and I have absolutely no issues with that clutch which made me think the CB350 should also be easier to pull. Figured I would start by trying to lubricate the clutch cable. I've only had this bike for around 15 years and I think it's safe to say it's a vvveeeerrrryyy old cable probably original. Will I be wasting my time lubing an old cable? Should I skip that and just get a new one?

In light of your situation I'd just buy a new cable. It's highly possible it began to rust inside and lubing it will only be a temporary improvement if at all.

Speaking from dubious experience, a suddenly broken clutch cable is not a pleasant experience. Happening anywhere except your own driveway moves it to "experiences to be avoided."

Heed the warning it's giving you. Order a new one.

Back
Top Bottom