• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Evaporust And spokes

WildeEngineer

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Just wondering, would it be safe to use evaporust on my spokes or would it be best to just get new spokes? And are the spokes the same front and rear on the CL450 (because of the drum brakes)?

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

The evaporust may remove some of the remaining galvanizing on your spokes. I'm assuming they are currently somewhat rusted. You can wax them up with a couple coats of quality wax but if you don't want rusty spokes then replace them now.

Evaporust will only remove rust, it won't touch other coatings. But things begin to rust in places their protective coatings (like paint or zinc plating for instance) have been breached.

Once you've removed the rust you've got to protect your steel somehow, paint it, electroplate it, or apply a thin-film corrosion preventative. I'm using CorrosionX on all of my projects, it's good for 3 years between applications and is safe for electrical contacts too.

I've also de-rusted spokes with reverse osmosis followed by vinegar, then given them a light polish and successfully DIY zinc electroplated and reused them, but there are a few reasons this isn't the best choice for everyone.

Evaporust will only remove rust, it won't touch other coatings. But things begin to rust in places their protective coatings (like paint or zinc plating for instance) have been breached.

Once you've removed the rust you've got to protect your steel somehow, paint it, electroplate it, or apply a thin-film corrosion preventative. I'm using CorrosionX on all of my projects, it's good for 3 years between applications and is safe for electrical contacts too.

I've also de-rusted spokes with reverse osmosis followed by vinegar, then given them a light polish and successfully DIY zinc electroplated and reused them, but there are a few reasons this isn't the best choice for everyone.

Evapo rust will remove coatings is my experience and is in the product description ...

https://emeraldcoatings.com/product/evaporust/

I guess the spokes aren't that bad, mostly some spotted surface rust. Guess I was just looking for a way to not have to wire brush each spoke

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

Evapo rust will remove coatings is my experience and is in the product description ...

https://emeraldcoatings.com/product/evaporust/

Yes I realize that their description says that, but in my experience with 4 gallons of their product, an entire CB160, a pile of old rusty zinc plated hardware, and most of an old Honda tool set, other coatings will remain untouched while only rust will be removed.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience with it.
What part did it ruin?

I buy it in the 3.5 gallon buckets now rather than the gallon jugs and use it extensively.

It is slow to remove the coatings ... and that includes paint .... but it certainly does. If you are protecting the surfaces after rust removal then you won't see it as quickly as no treatment. Spokes, depending on how much moisture they are exposed to rust quite quickly.

If someone wants me to rebuild a wheel I will only use new spokes or leave the spokes alone.

I also use the Evaop rust to remove the oil varnish off internal engine parts like camshafts and rockers. Hot soapy water rinses and a coating of oil afterwards. Unless I'm in a rush I reuse the product several times. If you want to speed up the process on small parts using it in an ultrasonic unit is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom