• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Running light not working

nick

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I'm brand new to the forum and to my 1973 CB350 US model. I purchased the a non-running bike. I set the points and timing and it came to life after 6 years of no use. I have everything pretty much sorted except I can not get the running light to work.

The light works in the key #2 position so I have power in the Br wire from the key switch to the bulb. From here I get lost. I have looked in the headlight pod and saw a video that the the Br/W wire in the pod comes from the switch and powers the running light. But I have no power in that wire.

The dimmer switch on the handle bar is corroded so I can't get the screws out to check it. I will drill them if I can convince myself that is where the problem lies.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I'm brand new to the forum and to my 1973 CB350 US model. I purchased the a non-running bike. I set the points and timing and it came to life after 6 years of no use. I have everything pretty much sorted except I can not get the running light to work.

The light works in the key #2 position so I have power in the Br wire from the key switch to the bulb. From here I get lost. I have looked in the headlight pod and saw a video that the the Br/W wire in the pod comes from the switch and powers the running light. But I have no power in that wire.

There are no 'running' lights on that, only headlight, gage lights and highbeam indicator and taillight.
Don't wreck those screws, if possible, I can usually get them with a small visegrips.

There are no 'running' lights on that, only headlight, gage lights and highbeam indicator and taillight.
Don't wreck those screws, if possible, I can usually get them with a small visegrips.

My next thought was it is in the ignition switch. I have from the light to the ignition switch. The light works in position 2 but not 1.

My next thought was it is in the ignition switch. I have from the light to the ignition switch. The light works in position 2 but not 1.

This is what I tried to explain in my reply to your introduction. If the switch on your bike is original, it should look like this. The taillight only comes on when the key is in position 2 (middle of 3 positions) and the headlight switch is turned to either low or high beam. That provides power to the taillight circuit, which otherwise only gets power in position 3 on the ignition switch, the "Park" position. On US models there was no running light.

r switch.jpg

What would it take to remove the ignition switch? It looks like a real challenge.

You can find exploded views of all the parts on the bike at places like Partzilla and CMSNL. You did look at the Welcome Package of links I posted for you in my reply to your introduction, right? There are many helpful things in it for the forum and your bike, and this is one of them

https://www.vintagehondatwins.com/forums/index.php?threads/8

For example, this is the listing for the ignition switch at CMSNL, the ignition switch is held in the bracket with a ring nut and the plug coming from it connects to the main wiring harness under the front of the gas tank

honda-cb350g-super-sport-1973-usa-wire-harnessignition-coilswitch_bighu0059f5025_abba.jpg

The work-around to getting the tail light to come on with headlight switch. I found an unused Br wire (taillight) with a female plug in the headlight pod. Probably there for bikes with a running light. I used it to connect to the headlight wire. It currently only works on high beam. Once I get some proper connectors I will rewire to have it work in both hi and low beam.

Back
Top Bottom