• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

72 CL350 Side Stand Issue

davidevoss

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
My bike leans far to the left when on the side stand.
IMG_6549[1].jpg
The original foot peg bar was welded to my frame on one side and I had to cut it off. I bought a replacement side stand / foot peg bar (#1) on Ebay months before I needed it. When I tried the side stand I thought the entire foot peg bar / side stand unit (#1) was bent so I bought another one - a "advertised as" NOS unit (#2) but it turns out that it has different bends on the peg brackets than my previous one but the side stand tab was the same (position, angle, etc.).

So now I think I have determined (by searching through photos) that the second peg bar I bought actually fits a CB not a CL - the one on the right below. I didn't know they were different.
IMG_6665[1].jpg
Is that correct?

My only other thought about the side stand / leaning issue is that maybe I have a side stand (#1) (not peg bar) off of a CB or some other model and just need a longer side stand. Can anyone let me know the correct length for a 72 CL350 side stand? Thanks in advance.

David Voss

Can't say anything definitive just based on the pictures and past history you've mentioned, but looking at the first picture the toe of the sidestand is pointing upward. Typically the bottom of the stand should sit flat on the ground, so either the stand itself is bent up near the pivot (it should come straight off the pivot, perpendicular to the pivot bolt) or the tab on the footpeg assembly is bent at a greater angle than it was originally. I've seen sidestands get bent like that from people kickstarting the bike while the stand is down.

The actual side stand is the same regardless of model. What I have seen is the clevis end gets worn and/or splayed out over time.
The correction is simple but does require a torch and good vise. You put the pivot bolt in tight, heat the clevis to a bright cherry red and squeeze with the vise some. Don't over squeeze. Once you think you have it quench the stand in a large bucket of water, 5 gallon.
Alternative is make shims to tighten up the clearance.

Can't say anything definitive just based on the pictures and past history you've mentioned, but looking at the first picture the toe of the sidestand is pointing upward. Typically the bottom of the stand should sit flat on the ground, so either the stand itself is bent up near the pivot (it should come straight off the pivot, perpendicular to the pivot bolt) or the tab on the footpeg assembly is bent at a greater angle than it was originally. I've seen sidestands get bent like that from people kickstarting the bike while the stand is down.

Thanks ancientdad. That makes sense about it getting bent while kickstarting it on the side stand. The side stand looks to be straight so maybe the tab is bent but that tab is 10mm thick! At what point is the lean too much?

The actual side stand is the same regardless of model. What I have seen is the clevis end gets worn and/or splayed out over time.
The correction is simple but does require a torch and good vise. You put the pivot bolt in tight, heat the clevis to a bright cherry red and squeeze with the vise some. Don't over squeeze. Once you think you have it quench the stand in a large bucket of water, 5 gallon.
Alternative is make shims to tighten up the clearance.

Thanks LDR. I'll try pinching the clevis to be tighter - it is a little "sloppy" - not a lot but some.

While it isn't the visual you feel comfortable with, as long as the stand and tab/bracket is solid and sturdy and the bike feels stable on the stand you should be okay on hard/paved surfaces, though I must admit I wouldn't care for it either. If you took the footpeg bracket off and had someone heat the tab area so you could bend it a bit to bring the bike a little more upright, then possibly weld a little reinforcement metal to the area for additional strength, you could solve the problem. Unless you have the proper equipment and experience I'd take it to a reputable welding shop and show them pictures if you go that route, they should be able to do the job correctly so it doesn't negatively affect the metal and it either bends again in the same spot or breaks off unexpectedly. The more severe the angle of lean, the more weight is on that spot.

Regarding the foot rest bar, if its like the 175 models, the CB footbar has a different bend, to accommodate the CB exhaust pipes. So a CB bar will fit a CL, but a CL bar on a CB runs into clearance issues with the pipes. The actual foot pegs are at the same height and spread on both bikes, just the CL footbar is tucked in more, presumably for off road clearance.

Similar issue with the rear brake pedal, if memory serves me correctly.

Regarding the foot rest bar, if its like the 175 models, the CB footbar has a different bend, to accommodate the CB exhaust pipes. So a CB bar will fit a CL, but a CL bar on a CB runs into clearance issues with the pipes. The actual foot pegs are at the same height and spread on both bikes, just the CL footbar is tucked in more, presumably for off road clearance.

Similar issue with the rear brake pedal, if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks Richard. It looks like I have a CB peg bar that I don't need!:)

One possible solution would be to weld an extension onto the bottom of the foot to make the stand a bit longer. Stock size tires?, bigger(taller) tires will aggravate that leaning condition.

One possible solution would be to weld an extension onto the bottom of the foot to make the stand a bit longer. Stock size tires?, bigger(taller) tires will aggravate that leaning condition.

Thanks Mike. Yes, the tires are a little oversized. On the front instead of 3.00-19 mine are 3.25-19 and on the rear instead of 3.50-18 mine are 4.00-18. The tires were the only new parts that I got with my basket-case so I used them. I guess that could aggravate the lean some.

Back
Top Bottom