• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Trouble reassembling brake pedal on CB400N

CptCaveman

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi all,

I can't figure out how to reassemble the brake pedal. The Haynes manual says:

"The rear brake pedal pivots on a bolt which passes through the right-hand footrest plate and screws into the end of the centre stand pivot shaft."

The trouble I have is that there is no hole in the right-hand footrest plate that lines up with the centre stand pivot shaft. Here's a picture illustrating the issue - not mine, but someone else's from another site but it's exactly as I find it on my machine. Am I missing something?

image_1549132688344.jpg

Thanks a million for that LDR - however it seems like the foot-rest plate/bracket on my model is different (bigger) - mine is a 1981 Super Dream.

The hole where it looks like the bolt should go through on the foot rest bracket does not line up with the center stand pivot rod.

A guy actually posts about this very same issue in this post - but I don't see the answer in there either

IMG_4398 (Medium).jpgIMG_4399 (Medium).jpg

Just to add, that I've looked through the entirety of James Adams' restore thread, his appears to be the same model as mine. Boy oh boy - the quality of his work is something else! Anyway - unfortunately all his photos are of the other side so I can't see what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing

Just to add, that I've looked through the entirety of James Adams' restore thread, his appears to be the same model as mine. Boy oh boy - the quality of his work is something else! Anyway - unfortunately all his photos are of the other side so I can't see what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing

I was going to suggest James' thread because I know he has the same bike too bad it doesn't show what you need to see. We didn't get that model here in the US for some ridiculous reason in Honda's thinking.

Thanks LDR - at first I thought you must be right, but looking up that part number on Ebay I see that there is a pair of them and they are a mounting bracket for the engine... so I'm still pretty stumped!

Ok, so I've found this image in the Haynes manual - you can see that the brake pedal bolts directly into the large footrest bracket but my issue is that there is nothing for it to go into on the other side.

brake_pedal.png

What does it screw into on the other side?
image_1549132688344.jpg

OK, I think I have it - I'm missing part 1 in this fiche - well I actually have it, all nice and repainted and everything - I just need to use it!

honda-cb400n-1981-b-france-stand_bigma000120f21_2903.jpg

Good job. It's tough for us when we never got the model and all we have are parts fiches to go by, not even close to the same as going out to the garage and looking at one like it in person. And I think that model is one of the coolest bikes that Honda never shared with us here in the US

Well now we have the answer, I'm sure it will come up again. The non US models are interesting, dual disc front ends and nicer looking wheels among the nice stuff.

Also a reminder of the importance of labelling your little parts bags :) I labelled most of them, but not this one... sigh

Back
Top Bottom