• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Inspired by a CB175 ?

Richard Pitman

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Can't quite see it myself ....

Honda Garonda, another Portuguese dealer, came with a build called “Lucy” to, as far as we can interpret, emphasize the power of Portuguese sunshine. The bike is also inspired by the classic CB175 model of the ’60s and ’70s, and boasts a one-of-a-kind gold and white paint scheme highlighted by a handcrafted Rebel logo on the tank.

zgrnnCU.jpg

Ah yes. I see it. It has CB175 'UK profile' handlebars - but not even chromed.

That has about as much CB175 in it as does a Ferrari clone inspiration form a Volkswagen Kombi Van.

I have read elsewhere though, that this Garonda Rebel won a section of a Honda Rebel modification competition. (https://www.hondacustoms.com/en )

I can see the CB175 inspiration in the paint scheme, some 175's had the same gold/white paint. Keep in mind inspiration doesn't mean copying or trying to make it look like it, just that it inspires someone's creativity. A lot of rock musicians are inspired by Bach and Beethoven but their music is no where near the same.

Yes, I realised at the time that it was the old gold and white paint scheme they were referencing. It's nice that the memory of the classic Honda still has some influence with these modern customisers.

And it's probably heretical to say this, but in my advancing years I can quite see how a Honda Rebel might be a neat bike for pottering about on, easy on the back and knee joints.

...easy on the back and knee joints.

I suppose it varies from rider to rider and their individual deficiencies due to aging (and my lower back deficiencies are caused by hard dirt riding on heavy, under-suspended Honda 4 strokes when I was a teenager and 20-something), but that bike would not be comfortable for me. A low seat like that combined with somewhat forward footpegs is the exact opposite of what my back needs. On a UJM I need the pegs pretty much under my bottom or only slightly forward, like most from that era (or styled after that era if a modern retro) but at least with a higher seat height to allow me to keep my lower back less curved forward. I tend to sit more forward than some for that reason and in part because I've always felt the bike handles better when your body weight is more middle-situated between the wheels, and on a UJM I tend to use the passenger pegs often during longer stretches of open road.

Interesting. One of the pathologists that I worked for rode Yamaha Dragstars, first a 650 then an 1100. He commuted to work on these, reckoned it was easier on his dodgy back / sciatica than driving his car.

For me, at the moment, it's my left knee. I had a short 30 mile ride on the CB175 this afternoon, and when I stopped to take a photo ( apologies to Laverderista for the thread hijack ) I had to put the sidestand down then wait for a few moments before I could straighten my leg and dismount. My SL175 is more comfortable, pegs are lower and slightly further forward than the CB/CL 175s.

Rearsets on the CB600 don't seem such a good idea these days. In fact, it's all that bikes fault. Coming out of work on a cold wet night 20 years ago, on Michelin HiSports, I gave it full throttle in first gear at walking pace. Rear wheel span up, kicked sideways, I snapped the throttle shut, it gripped again, high sided and flicked me off, wrenching my knee in the process. I ended up having an arthroscopy, to remove cartilage that was locking the joint.

Back
Top Bottom