• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CB200 pitted stanchion still usable?

2BrokeBikes

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
So I took some advice I'd gotten here on the forum and tried cleaning up one of my rusty (the rustier one) front fork stanchions with some strips of emery cloth. It worked great, but I'm not so sure about what I found under the rust. What do you think?

20220906_080223.jpg 20220906_080223_closeup.jpg

The important part is the area where the fork seal acts against the fork tube. If that area is not badly pitted you'll be fine.

+1 on above, the headlight ears will cover the pitted areas and the chrome where the seals ride on the tubes below that looks fine.

So I took some advice I'd gotten here on the forum and tried cleaning up one of my rusty (the rustier one) front fork stanchions with some strips of emery cloth. It worked great, but I'm not so sure about what I found under the rust. What do you think?

View attachment 17113 View attachment 17114

That fork tube is very thick steel and the rust doesn't look deep enough to affect it's strength;is that the worst area ?

Not great but also not any problem. If you want to dress it up you can squeegee a thin layer of JB Weld or even Bondo to fill the divots, sand flush and paint. I would get some sort of rust inhibitor applied so the rust progress is at least slowed down if not stopped. Rust-O-Leum is a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom