• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CM400T, etc. Oil Dipstick replacement?

Maraakate

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I'm working on an 80 CM400E for someone. I haven't touched a manual CM400 in at least 10 years. I was surprised to find the dipstick is plastic. On the automatic it's metal. At first, I thought maybe this was one of the ways they cheaped on the CM400E as the 'E' stands for 'Economy', but parts listing shows it's for all CM400T bikes.

This one is slightly warped so I personally wouldn't trust it. With that said, could you use use one from an automatic or is it not the same length and cause problems? If you can't, does someone make decent aftermarket ones?

Maybe you could slightly heat it up to make it straight again, but it's just going to warp again since it's near a lot of heat anyways.

Well since I have both here I'll measure it up and let you know. Still crazy to me that it's plastic. Doesn't seem like anyone cares enough to make an aftermarket replacement either. And NO won't be adding that to my website as additional parts for sale ;) :lol:

As hot as I've ridden which in turn got the engine toasty my plastic dipstick hasn't warped. AM start was 85 and topped out at 118 in west Texas, 250+ miles that day.

I don't know if it warped from heat or just deformed from sitting for a very long time. Normally I don't trust stories or care about mileage on bikes. However, I think the story on this one is true that it was purchased from the original owner and he kept it in a garage and rode it very infrequently. It has 12k on it, but I've never seen one this clean. The wire colours are still brand new looking. Even the CDI ground strap in that area is incredibly clean and the CDI harness still has the parts number sticker on it with the Japanese lettering. Something I've never seen before except on true NOS units for sale.

A bit OT, but the reason I don't trust the stories or care if a bike has "low mileage" is that my theory with most bikes, especially the older ones is someone bought it new and brought it in for tune ups when it was still under warranty. Most of these bikes get trashed around 10k to 20k. I think what happens is they stop doing the maintenance because they didn't get it for free any more or just stopped caring. It never seems to run quite right as it did before, so then they ride it less. Then a few years later they try to fire it up, but the carbs are gummed up from varnished gas and the battery is dead. Maybe they put new gas in it and a new battery, then it just leaks gas badly. Then it sits for another few years, then they attempt to replace the float needles with whatever aftermarket crap kit they find and it never runs quite right. Sits for a few more years, thinking they'll get around to it and then just eventually get rid of it.

Personally, I'd rather see something that runs strong and proper at 30k-40k as that means someone cared enough to maintain it and actually ride it. It may have even had things done at this mileage like wheel bearings, fork seals, etc.

Another OT thing, but I noticed when I did the front forks on this that the manual bikes have a 14mm hex at the top of the fork tube to hold the spring in place. The automatic does not have this. It's pretty nice actually as it makes it easier to remove the hex at the bottom. I'm pretty sure the fork tubes are the same between both bikes, and I believe the automatic had the threads for it so I don't see why you couldn't upgrade to that if you wanted to. Not sure if there's any real advantage beyond just making it easier to replace the seals again, which shouldn't be needed for a long time. I also noticed the fork cap bolt is significantly larger. Something like 27mm I believe. The automatic I think was 21mm or something to that effect.

When you into the weeds comparing parts between years and models you find all sorts of thing. The E model you have is using forks similar at least to the CB400T's in 78/79.

Back
Top Bottom