• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Engine Temp

chipmunk

Total Posts
Total likes
Hi, I did a search and can't seem to find any info on engine temperatures. Does anyone have info on a running 350 engine temp under various operating conditions and ambient temperatures. At idle, after running on the hiway, summer, winter, etc. Don't have an overheating problem, at least not at idle, the bike is not on the road yet and I have a laser temp gun. Just curiosity, temps can be handy info for diagnostics sometimes. Thank you.:)

F****** hot!
It's air cooled and temps vary depending where your taking them and how hard your running plus distance and ambient temps.
It needs to get over 210f at rear of crankcase occasionally to make sure any condensation in cases gets 'boiled out' but will always be around 160 to 180 unless you just 'popped down the shop'
Exhaust port area (on head not pipe) can be anywhere from 250 to 450 f, intake side generally around 150 to 200 after a run.
No one publishes numbers, these are just some I found when 'playing' with non contact lazer thermometer several years ago

I borrowed a thermal imager from work one day and got about the same PJ did. The cam bearings actually lit up as the hottest.

If you want to use them as diagnostics the best way would be to establish your baseline under certain conditions using the gun you have, and then referencing that whenever you’re investigating.

- 1972 CL350
- 1985 VF700F

Thermal imaging can give very wrong temperatures, if neglected the emissivity adjustment for the material you measure. Please use a piece of tape with a known emissivity (for example painters tape has a emissivity of 0,95). Polished aluminum has an emissivity of 0,1 -0,2.

Back
Top Bottom