• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Huffing/Pop in Right Carb at Start-Up & Idle

Magista

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I'm getting a huffing/pop sound in my right carb (VM28) at start and idle. It ceases while riding. I can hear it breathe in on accel from full stop. It is having trouble holding RPMs at idle too. I believe this is a lean condition in the idle circuit and will have to adjust the idle mixture. Am I on the right track?

It was likely knocked out of whack during the accident.

Thanks!

Popping/huffing/intake backfire are associated with a lean condition, typically a vacuum leak. Since the carbs sat for a year though it won't hurt to open them up and clean the jets plus blow out the passages. I would be looking hard at the carb insulators and the sealing to the head.

Popping/huffing/intake backfire are associated with a lean condition, typically a vacuum leak. Since the carbs sat for a year though it won't hurt to open them up and clean the jets plus blow out the passages. I would be looking hard at the carb insulators and the sealing to the head.

Great thank you. I was on the right track. My plan was to open them up this weekend to go through them. I'll check all of the above.

Update: Pulled the right carb. Blew everything out. Noted that the floats weren’t moving. A gentle lift got them operating.

So far it’s idling well. I’m heading to see Girl Trouble downtown so we’ll see if it’s fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom