• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Ultrasonic cleaner

Windmill John

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Excuse me for trying to save a few pennies, but I’ve gone a bit mad lately spending…

Picked up an ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of pounds a year or two back; haven’t used it yet!

Just wondered if there are any household products to use as fluid rather than buying special stuff if I try it out on my jets.
If not, I’ll probably just stick with my normal carb cleaner and air.

Thanks.

Thanks Jim, happy with that. Haven’t heard of either, but reading about Pine Sol, I’ll give Mr Muscle glass cleaner a try mixed with de-ionised water.

It seems to be you can try anything. At the end of the day, the vibes will help.

I second that from Jim. For my project I used a UC for a lot of the smaller parts. Putting them in for five minutes with a liberal amount of Dawn dish soap and then taking them out giving them a scrub with a brush and then doing another round of five minutes seemed to be the best way to go. Sometimes for extra stubborn dirt more than one round of scrubbing is needed but for most parts you definitely need to give them some help halfway through. HOT water helps too.

My 2 cents worth about ultra sonic cleaning is don’t use any citrus based cleaner additive if you are cleaning anything made from Muzak or aluminium. It will likely turn black.
how do I know you may well ask……
I now use a few drops of standard dish washing liquid like Palmolive.
garyjames
auckland

From a forum recommendation here I use Simple Green Pro (purple liquid, not green) and they even mention on the bottle ultrasonic cleaner machines as being a typical use-case. It isn't cheap but it's concentrated. I've used it closer to 3-1, 4-1 ratios, and the last time closer to only a 5-1 ratio and that was with dirty solution left from another task.

At 5-to-1 it still worked great. I'd rather run the ultrasonic a few extra minutes instead of using extra chems each time ... still easier and more effective than spraying carb cleaner in my experience. I do not run the heater in mine. I'll use warmed water instead, sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom