• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Where to get sprockets?

Maraakate

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Both of my bikes could use new sprockets. I put new chains on them a couple of years and keep them well lubed, but it's something that should be done in winter. What's reputable places to get these from? I know there are ton of aftermarket vendors out there, but no idea who is reliable. I just want something that is safe, and bolts up the same. I'm just going to use regular DID chains, like the original bike so no worries about potential clearance issues with exotic chains.

I prefer Sun Star over JT Sprockets, but that's just a preference. Both are good.
On the 400/450 series you have to swap the rear axle/sprocket spacer from old to new

I prefer Sun Star over JT Sprockets, but that's just a preference. Both are good.
On the 400/450 series you have to swap the rear axle/sprocket spacer from old to new

This reminds me. How critical is it to replace those rubber dampeners? I know DSS has them, but they're quite price at $20 a piece and you need 4. There's also the dust cover. The 550 also has the tongued washers. When I did wheel bearings on the 550 a couple of years ago I just re-used the dampeners, seal, o-rings and tongue washers. Seems OK, but probably not the best practice.

The rubbers dry out and shrink while becoming hard. If they still fit with little to no play leave them. If they have a lot of play then replace or as a temp fix use inner tube shims to take up the slack.

OK. What is their actual purpose? I also imagine this will become a problem real soon in the next 10-20 years as that part becomes truly NLA. Rubber doesn't like sitting around doing nothing.

Sorry for a dumb question. I knew by it's name it was a piece of rubber that dampened something, but was not sure what it dampens. Was unsure if it was some how related to suspension, braking, or bearings. I was completely wrong.

Sorry for a dumb question. I knew by it's name it was a piece of rubber that dampened something, but was not sure what it dampens. Was unsure if it was some how related to suspension, braking, or bearings. I was completely wrong.

There are no dumb questions, if you don't ask you may never know.

Ordered some sprockets from Sunstar for the 550 this time around. Came quickly, price was right. Went on easy. Thanks again!

Now to do the 400...

Back
Top Bottom