• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

1970 Honda CL175 K3

Braneworks

Total Posts
Total likes
Hello all. I am new to the group and to bikes. I just got a 1970 Honda CL175 K3. Wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on tires since my front is (based on the manual) 3.00 x 19 and the back is 3.00 x 18. I can only find 3.00 x 18 back and 2.75 or 3.50 rears. Not sure which is the right move. And anyone have any recommendations on rim strips? Thanks in advance.

-Bob

I can only find 3.00 x 18 back and 2.75 or 3.50 rears.

Bob, I'm guessing you meant 3.00-18 front and this is a problem for some of us looking for the tire we want in the size that was common back then but not so much now. What brand are you looking at? Different brands often offer different sizes not available with other brands, crazy as that might sound (since it isn't mainstream car tires we're dealing with).

BTW, I see you were able to post in this section, another question for compatibility with this forum is the browser you're using. Chrome works well here, Safari not always.

Actually, and oddly enough...I have a 3.00-18 back and 3.00-19 front (that is what the manual says, the current tires on there reflect that too). I found Shinko 241s but they only offer a 3.00-18 rear and 2.75-19 front or you have to get 3.50-18 and a 3.50-19. It's a bit confusing. Yes Safari was the culprit.

Well, glad Safari was the issue. As far as the tires, you'll just have to shop as many manufacturers as possible to find a pair that you like in the sizes you need. The hard part, and I ran into this myself with a 19" front wheel on my CL450, is finding the same tread pattern in both.

Thanks..I was more concerned with safety....for instance, is it better to go with 3.50 on front and back (though the manual says 3.00 for both) or is it better to go with a 3.00-18 and 2.75-19...is the smaller width upfront an issue.

Thanks
bob

Interesting, I had no idea that the earlier CL175 came with a 19" front wheel. If this is a 1.60 rim, either 2.75 or 3.00 would be suitable.

Assuming that the rear rim is a 1.85, that would be the same as the SL175, which has a 3.50 rear as factory fitment. My K7 CL175 has a 1.85 rear rim, with a 3.25 tyre as standard fitment, 18" wheels front and back.

Thanks Richard. Yeah..by serial num on frame and engine its at 1970 but no sure if its early or late model...It also uses a big/wide body petcock so it's definitely a model all its own.

Back
Top Bottom