• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Swingarm Bushings are next

birdland

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I was chasing that oil leak from my shift shaft today. Decided to swap out the countershaft seal while I was in there - so - loosen the back wheel, off comes the chain and front sprocket, etc. Did all the work on both seals (I'm becoming intimate with that shift shaft seal - I did a bunch of cleaning and polishing of the shaft in there today - wish me luck).

When I got it all back together I was on the double check part of the process and found that while on the center stand, I was able to rock the sway bar horizontally JUST a smidge - likely a 16th or so. First time I've been able to do that. Not surprising, but kind of sudden. Maybe the change of tires a couple of months back sent things over the edge.

In any event - bushings will be on the way from this supplier CBXPerformance - I was watching this thread a while ago.

I'll post progress and questions here, although there is a LOT of help and suggestions already documented.

And thanks as always.

I was chasing that oil leak from my shift shaft today. Decided to swap out the countershaft seal while I was in there - so - loosen the back wheel, off comes the chain and front sprocket, etc. Did all the work on both seals (I'm becoming intimate with that shift shaft seal - I did a bunch of cleaning and polishing of the shaft in there today - wish me luck).

When I got it all back together I was on the double check part of the process and found that while on the center stand, I was able to rock the sway bar horizontally JUST a smidge - likely a 16th or so. First time I've been able to do that. Not surprising, but kind of sudden. Maybe the change of tires a couple of months back sent things over the edge.

In any event - bushings will be on the way from this supplier CBXPerformance - I was watching this thread a while ago.

I'll post progress and questions here, although there is a LOT of help and suggestions already documented.

And thanks as always.

Test
330832deed27fdd18fe4d40ab354ab2e.jpg

So - wheel off, swing-arm off, center collar, pivot bolt, all cleaned - channels and grease holes are all clear.

There were no felt rings, the old plastic bushings actually look ok - not destroyed. I have the CBX performance bushings ready to install tomorrow - I'll use all-thread and a couple of nuts and washers.

Currently cleaning the swing-arm of grease.

And of course - another previous owner issue;

IMG_3834.jpg

with light;
IMG_3837.jpg

I'll be cleaning these prior to installing the bushings. I'm assuming the dent here is not going to adversely effect the integrity of the new bushings.

Right now, prior to installation the bushings slide perfectly over the center collar and the pivot bolt slides perfectly through the bushings. The bushings do not slide into the swing arm. There will be some honing to get them started. The old pivot bushings needed some convincing to come out. Nothing major, some whacks with a 12" socket extension and a one pound hammer.

IMG_3838.jpg

We'll see what's up after they're seated.

2580013aa8e7026acbfaee02fbceb563.jpg

bf0856c0e5b41b58743ea3fa46f2bae7.jpg

Everything went back together nice. Swing arm installed easily - it took lots of grease - until it’s showing at both caps.

I’ll wrestle this back wheel on and we’re good to go.

A bit of a ride report after a couple of days on the new bushings; not much change - seems I caught the degradation early on. It DOES feel more solid though and there is a little more confidence in the lean. I think I feel more road on my butt - that could just be expectation.

I dialled the shocks back to medium from stiff after the first rides and that seems to be the sweet spot.

Haven’t changed tire pressures at all - running 29psi front and back.

Reading through the experiences of others it’s obvious I got off very easy here. Grateful for that.

Back
Top Bottom