• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

Grabby front brake

Randall

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
I rebuilt my brakes front and rear about one year and 4,000 miles ago. They have been great until the last couple of days. The front has nosedived a few times coming to a slow stop. I'm not sure if I am having a senior moment, or if something is up with them. Not going to be in a position to pull the wheel for a bit, as I have my other bike apart right now.

Just trying a thought experiment here. What would be a possible cause for this? No other complaints with them otherwise. The first couple of times, I said out loud, "what is wrong with me today?" But, it happened again tonight rolling to a slow stop in my driveway, nose dipped a lot.

Without taking it apart all you can do is check that the link rod hasn't come out of adjustment, the brake stay is securely mounted and the cable adjustment is good.

I got caught in a Florida lightning storm tonight that I totally misjudged, so I will be washing her and inspecting tomorrow. Front control doesn't feel off though, during normal riding. It's just a sudden grab at slow speed, like in a parking lot.

I'm confident it's not forks suspension.

Brake drums that get wet from a ride in a heavy rainstorm might get a little rusty overnight and that can cause a grabby feel, but if you ride it more than a few minutes and use the brakes any typical amount it usually cleans off pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom