• Don't overlook our Welcome Package, it contains many links to important and helpful information about functions at VHT like posting pictures and sending PMs (private messages), as well as finding the parts you need.

AD

CMC CB450 points assembly?

boddy

Veteran Member
Total Posts
Total likes
Does anyone have any experience with these points assemblies from CMC? OEM run about $180 and I was wondering if these at $25 are worth bothering with.

Thanks...Brad

I've never bought anything from them, but I must say I'm shocked to see something so reasonably priced at CMC, in fact it's almost like there must be something wrong with it for them to be selling it so cheap. They admit the plate is a bit small so it might move around in the base during adjustment. The points actually look decent and the screws look like the OEM screws do.

Does anyone have any experience with these points assemblies from CMC? OEM run about $180 and I was wondering if these at $25 are worth bothering with.

Thanks...Brad

I think I have one of those, but it was purchased from eBay for about $44. I bought it as a spare, so I don't have experience timing the bike with it. I did take a close-up of the marking on the points, in case anyone can recognize the manufacturer and provide further comment.

PXL_20220617_193719143.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220617_193652291.NIGHT.jpg

I've never bought anything from them, but I must say I'm shocked to see something so reasonably priced at CMC, in fact it's almost like there must be something wrong with it for them to be selling it so cheap. They admit the plate is a bit small so it might move around in the base during adjustment. The points actually look decent and the screws look like the OEM screws do.

I was thinking that in the worst case I could use the wires, screws and grommet to freshen up my existing assembly. I think I will go for it...

I was thinking that in the worst case I could use the wires, screws and grommet to freshen up my existing assembly. I think I will go for it...

That's more of less what I was thinking, too. I also wanted to replace my felt, but ended up using wires, felt, screws, and points that I found separately.

The points assembly finally arrived. Even had a little pack of lubricant. The rubber grommet is somewhat pliable which is better than my existing one.
points1.jpgpoints2.jpg

The point surface has some sort of coating that is quite hard.
points3.jpg

The fit on the cam end is a bit loose - there is a difference of 0.15mm from my existing points plate.
points4.jpg

I may end up using the wires, screws and felt pad to freshen up my existing points.

Pretty sloppy fit on the plate size, but the components look decent though I do wonder about whatever is on the points. I'm sure it can be cleaned off the contacts themselves if necessary. The wires look nice (and the terminals are properly arranged like Honda did when new back in the day) and for the price, you can't beat getting the usable hardware.

Back
Top Bottom